debratugwell

EGLU HEAT PROBLEMS

Has anyone heard any adverse comments about temperatures in the Eglu?

I have heard comments that they can get too warm in summer causing heat exhaustion in the brids and too cold and with condensation forming inside in the winter, causing colds etc.

Has anyone heard of this or had similar problems??

Thanks.

Hi Clare - was about to order one this week but went on a poultry course for beginners on Saturday (where it was all wooden coops) and a few comments were made there. Thought I'd just double check before spending my cash!!!!!!!! Have done lots of reading up on Eglus beforehand and as everyone is saying, I understood the whole point of the double skin was to avoid these problems. The comments made were from an actual previous Eglu owner - so now I'm unsure!!!!!!!!

Ahh I see. Unfortunately, ther can sometimes be a bit of 'them and us' from people with wooden coops. Having said that, some of my friends who had wooden houses have gone over to Eglus.

I did a lot of research before I got mine, and when i weighed it up against all the work needed to maintain a wooden coop and the problems my friends always had with mites. The eglu is a great investment.

have you been to see an eglu in action? If you email barbara@omlet.co.uk, she can fix for you to go and visit one in your area to have a play. I've hosted a couple of visits , and one lovely lady even wanted to clean mine to see how easy it was (I HAD cleaned it, honest). That might well help you decide.

My Chickens have endured nightime temperatures of -10oc and colder in the winter of 2005 without any extra rugs, blankets etc thrown over the top of the Eglu. They were fine and no condensation inside the Eglu :D

As for hot summer temperatures, well I can't really comment on that as I live in Scotland :lol:

Thanks everyone - I suppose the best thing to do is just hear comments from Eglu owners and see how they got on. I know that I don't want all the faffing about with treating the wood twice a year etc. and wood also gives more places for mites to hide.

As an aside I'm looking to get Black Rock chickens. Can anyone advise if an Eglu would comfortably hold 3 or should I just get 2 as they don't seem to be particularly small chickens???????

Hello Debra

Did you go to the Myerscough chicken course at the weekend? If so, what was it like - I've heard about it and am sooo tempted ......

Jools

Yes I did. I found it really useful. Would point out though that the people who run it are farmers so their main focus is on chickens being productive and if they don't - get rid!!! They also do not like "plastic" chicken houses and whilst the aim is not to necessarily plug their products (they make chicken coops) they are not Eglu fans - but it's each to their own. There were a mixture of people on the course - some buying Eglus, some not but personally I found it very useful and money well spent!!! Also obviously brought along five different breeds of chickens which we all handled and learned how to look for problems etc.

I'm sure three would be absolutely fine in the Eglu itself for sleeping purposes (I have 4 in each of mine).

However......you might want to consider an extension to the run for an extra hen, to give them more room to wander about, unless you intend to let them free range for large parts of the day. You could always add one later to give you a chance to see if it is necessary, and it will spread the cost a bit.

Never had a problem, and have had a VERY hot summer last year, plus some minus 5's over the winters and never a problem. I have a friend who is a "hunting with lurcher, flat cap wearing, kill 'em if they go broody" sort :roll: , who snears at my eglu as a "ladies who lunch " option, you'll get that reaction from some narrow minded types!!! They are EXCELLENT, get one!!!!

Ditto to everything that everyone else has said on here from me.

As far as I am concerned an Eglu is the ONLY way to keep chickens!

One lady here is from the USA where they have very extreme temperatures, & she has not had any problems.

As Liz says, get one,they are great :P

We've got both - the brown Eglu icons in my signature actually refer to the small wooden sheds we had to buy - we are replacing them gradually. We would have Eglus every time - and we've also had no problems with temperatures, on an exposed site.

I think it would be a good idea to see one in action, as Clare said.

I tested (though not very scientifically!!) the claim that the Eglu was cool in Summer and warm in Winter. On one of the hottest days last summer I shoved my hand inside and it felt lovely and cool and similarly when we had that really cold snap recently I did the same and it felt very cosy indeed even though their water was frozen solid outside.

As for how many, I would definitely get 3 rather than 2 because from experience it is not a pleasant task introducing one to two established chooks. Also if you are unfortunate and lose one you will not be left with a lonely girl.

I have a Black Rock and a Bluebelle (who freerange) and when we had Clucky who was a Gingernut ranger there would still have been room for another 2 as they all tend to snuggle up at night.

It is so exciting isn't it :D:D

The thing is the Eglu is very well ventilated. There are ventilation holes designed in as well as significant gaps around the poo tray. Also i never close the door. This means that in summer, due to the high air change rate caused by infiltration through the designed and non designed ventilation holes, the Eglu will stay close to ambient temperature during the nighttime. However if the eglu is in the sun and there are 'still' air conditions the temperature could rise well above ambient. So in the summer during the day they will be better off outside in the shade in a breeze preferably. Our hens tend to lay early morning and then spend the rest of the time till dusk outside so hopefully they will use the shade that we will provide for them when i really gets hot. Make sure that there is a plentiful supply of water in these conditions.

In winter, the adequate ventilation is a detriment to keeping warmth in the eglu. The heat loss due to ventilation will make the heat insulating properties of the double skin relatively insignicant especially if you leave the door open like i do. but my attitude is that although domesticated, our chooks can cope with the general weather conditions that we get in UK. I know some of you put duvets over the eglu to keep them tucked up when temperatures really drop and i must admit i would probably do the same. I do think though that this is in the main to ease our consciences although i am sure our chooks can quite easily cope.

Sorry to sound like a heating engineer but thats cos i am :roll:

I have put a snugglesafe in the eglu for my girls in the winter as well as 2 blankets over the top at night - not because i believe the eglu isnt up to the job but my girls are rescue chooks and were featherless wonders for most of the winter and i feel they needed a little extra warmth :D

I bought an eglu because it is the best way to house chickens for all seasons! :D

As an aside I'm looking to get Black Rock chickens. Can anyone advise if an Eglu would comfortably hold 3 or should I just get 2 as they don't seem to be particularly small chickens???????

At one point, I had 5 big girls snuggled in at night in the Eglu. There was still space for them to have a wriggle and to move around at night. :D

By the way I have just noticed where you are - Are you getting your chooks from Millers at Much Hoole?

That is where our girls came from - she is a lovely woman :D

Thanks for the tip and yes it is Millers. Only spoke to a man there - can you remember your lady's name so that I can say "I've been referred"!!!!

The thing is the Eglu is very well ventilated. There are ventilation holes designed in as well as significant gaps around the poo tray. Also i never close the door. This means that in summer, due to the high air change rate caused by infiltration through the designed and non designed ventilation holes, the Eglu will stay close to ambient temperature during the nighttime. However if the eglu is in the sun and there are 'still' air conditions the temperature could rise well above ambient. So in the summer during the day they will be better off outside in the shade in a breeze preferably. Our hens tend to lay early morning and then spend the rest of the time till dusk outside so hopefully they will use the shade that we will provide for them when i really gets hot. Make sure that there is a plentiful supply of water in these conditions.

In winter, the adequate ventilation is a detriment to keeping warmth in the eglu. The heat loss due to ventilation will make the heat insulating properties of the double skin relatively insignicant especially if you leave the door open like i do. but my attitude is that although domesticated, our chooks can cope with the general weather conditions that we get in UK. I know some of you put duvets over the eglu to keep them tucked up when temperatures really drop and i must admit i would probably do the same. I do think though that this is in the main to ease our consciences although i am sure our chooks can quite easily cope.

Sorry to sound like a heating engineer but thats cos i am :roll:

SO DO YOU LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN ALL NIGHT ONCE THEY ARE BACK INSIDE?