debratugwell

EGLU HEAT PROBLEMS

I had 3 big girls in the eglu then after a few weeks added 2 more - the eglu is big enough for 5 to sleep in but we built a big covered run, put the eglu on a platform and that worked well....until I decided to hatch some chicks! Now the 5 big girls have a wooden house built on the platform, I have a 'growers run' built in adjacent to the big run with the eglu in there for the chicks (hopefully they'll be out in their run by this time next week when my next lot in the incubator need the brooder box!).

My story 'so far' illustrates the 'addiction' of chicken -keeping - whatever you think you want now, Debra, double it and add some chicks!

On 3/19/2007 at 10:11 AM, debratugwell said:

Has anyone heard any adverse comments about temperatures in the Eglu?

I have heard comments that they can get too warm in summer causing heat exhaustion in the brids and too cold and with condensation forming inside in the winter, causing colds etc.

Has anyone heard of this or had similar problems??

Thanks.

Hi,  

Sadly, we lost 3 in the heat this week. All in the same night after a super hot day. Our chickens free range so we don’t typically use the run. We turn the door at night to keep them safe. However I think this led to them being too hot.

We’ve been really happy with the Omlet generally regarding east of cleaning, no mites etc. but I do think they’ve died due to poor ventilation and cramped space leading to heatstroke. My advice to other Omlet owners would be to ensure your run is super secure and then leave the door open in really hot spells. 

Sorry to hear you lost three of your chickens in the heat. I agree the ventilation is inadequate in extreme conditions. Even our coops suffer and they are insulated with 30mm slab foam (I know there is potential for red mite) and have very large mesh apertures either side to get a through draught. What we have are secure mesh doors for the pop-holes, so the pop-hole is left open and the 'summer' door fitted. This allows cooler air to be drawn in and leave from the high level vents. We have one coop in an unshaded position with extra vents in the apex of the roof as well.

When it gets above 35C we bring them inside, because the coops can't cool down enough before roosting time.