Chaddlewood Posted March 21, 2011 Share Posted March 21, 2011 Please can anyone advise me what the problem might be. We have a 24 week Orp who has not as yet reached POL. About 5 days ago we took her to the vet as she had been limping the day before and her leg was hot to the touch. the vet gave her an anti-inflammatory injection which to be honest has not really helped. The vet confirmed nothing was bloken or out of place. Unfortunately she appears to be worse and cannot stand and at times she is panting with her beak open. She is eating and drinking and clucking to the other 4 Chickens. we are isolating her during the day and placing back in the Omlet Cube to join the others at night. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong and advice on what to do. We have only had her two weeks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted March 21, 2011 Share Posted March 21, 2011 Maybe she has a high temperature and the swelling is an infection. They pant when overheated but also a sign of chest infection so I would put my ear on her back to listen to her breathing. Could you call the breeder for any history in the flock of problems Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chaddlewood Posted March 21, 2011 Author Share Posted March 21, 2011 Many thanks for your advice. I will check her breathing. The other 4 Orpington hens were all purchased together at the same time and they are all thriving. I did call the breeder and was advised he had not had any problems with the remaining flock. We have kept her in a rabbit hutch during the day, I will move the hutch around so she is not in such direct sunlight tomorrow. Finger crossed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chaddlewood Posted March 22, 2011 Author Share Posted March 22, 2011 Many thanks for your advice. I will check her breathing. The other 4 Orpington hens were all purchased together at the same time and they are all thriving. I did call the breeder and was advised he had not had any problems with the remaining flock. We have kept her in a rabbit hutch during the day, I will move the hutch around so she is not in such direct sunlight tomorrow. Finger crossed. I checked on her breathing today and she is chesty. She is still eating and drinking. But seems unable to stand. I would really appreciate any advice. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted March 22, 2011 Share Posted March 22, 2011 I'd report back to vet for some Baytril or similar antibiotic as well as the anti inflammatories. What a worry. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted March 22, 2011 Share Posted March 22, 2011 I agree that a course of antibiotics may be required. It is worth going back to the vets. They have treated the symptoms that were present when they examined her but it sounds like there are more symptoms now with may help them treat her more effectively. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...