Tweety Posted March 25, 2011 Share Posted March 25, 2011 I know I am counting my chickens before they hatch - it is only day 6 in the incy - but I was just wondering what to use for bedding in the brooder. Is Hemcore/Aubiose ok, or should I use wood shavings? Also, should I feed my chicks a feed containing coccidiostat as sold in the Omlet shop? And final question for now, is it necessary to put a J cloth in the incy when I stop turning the eggs and remove the dividers? I have got an Octagon 20, and the egg tray has a perforated base - will this be ok or should I put something non-slip on it? Thanks in advance. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted March 25, 2011 Share Posted March 25, 2011 I can't answer the incy question as I only use broodies, but yes Aubiose is fine for chicks and I always use medicated chick crumb. You'd better find something to do for the next 15 days ...... other than watching eggs cook Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted March 25, 2011 Share Posted March 25, 2011 The egg tray in the Octagon is perfect for chicks to hatch on so no need for a J cloth Is the brooder indoors? I use J cloths for the first few days and change them daily. after a few days I add a thin layer of wood pellet cat litter on top of the J cloths. This doesnt look very comfy for the chicks but is fine and doesnt go everywhere when they jump around. I always leave the area around the food and drink clear of bedding I buy cheap cloths and dont re-use them after my washing machine clogged up Before I discovered the cloth/cat litter option my house was always covered in a thin layer of Aubiose/woodshavings If yo have a brooder with high plastic sides the potential for mess is reduced I move the chicks to a larger brooder in the shed at about a week old then they can have woodshavings and make as much mess as they like'! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted March 25, 2011 Author Share Posted March 25, 2011 Thanks for the advice. Jools, I am spending my whole time worrying about the hatching and brooding process, and asking questions on the forum - and wishing I had a broody hen! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted March 26, 2011 Share Posted March 26, 2011 I was wondering that very same woodchip question so thanks for asking. Mine should be hatching Monday but there's no signs of anything happening yet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted March 26, 2011 Author Share Posted March 26, 2011 How exciting daxigirl! And you have a great variety of breeds in your incy. You should be seeing some action soon, so please keep us posted. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...