Busybird Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 When the warmer weather arrived the 10 chickens in my cube were giving me 8 or 9 eggs every day. Last week this inexplicably dropped to around 4 each day. This morning there are none in the nest box. Has anyone got any ideas what I can do please? I have had an issue with softies for a few months and had added limestone flour and cod liver oil to their feed through the winter when this seemed to be getting worse - not that regularly. I also had an issue with feather plucking and was advised to give them barley with their corn (a few handfuls each evening). This caused very runny poos so I have stopped that Their free ranging time has increased with the longer days but I have searched the garden and can find no trace of eggs laid elsewhere. Over the weekend I kept them confined to their run until mid afternoon but still only 3 or 4 eggs. My chooks are different ages but none are more than a couple of years old. They were wormed recently with flubenvet. They all look healthy - normal behaviour, interest in food and no sign of additional feather loss (they have looked a bit scraggy for months due to ongoing feather plucking issue). I would appreciate any advise or ideas. Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
eve Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 could it be red mite in your nest box?? i sprayed my house just to make sure as the warmer weather could have woken them up Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Busybird Posted March 28, 2011 Author Share Posted March 28, 2011 I will have a good look tomorrow and clean out if the weather holds. The chooks seem happy to use the cube and nest box - they just aren't producing the eggs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...