Old Speckled Hen Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 Would you and how far would you go? Would you not pay/part pay your council tax, disagreeing with an aspect of how it was apportioned? Would you march against Government cuts? Did anybody march for the countryside in 2002? I marched Aldermaston to London twice in the sixties, proudly bearing my banner of youth But I was young then....sigh and worldwide problems seemed so much more urgent than ones on my doorstep. Are there enough problems now that we need a little civil disobedience to just kick the Government into touch with us little people? I feel that the older I get the more people seem to sink into, " I'm alright, Jack" and seem to lose sight of the terrible legacy we've left to our youngsters with fewer jobs and student loans etc etc. OK just having a bad day.........will post it anyway........... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 I think that you are right we feel things more keenly as youngsters. I will always use my vote but beyond that I am afraid that I have become rather cynical about politicians of all colours as I have aged. They are mostly Oxbridge educated people who are following their own agenda, with a small minority who when young have priciples. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 I'm still of the 'personal is political' approach and try to make political decisions every day. As for civil disobediance...it certainly worked for Gandhi! i'm all for it but worry about fake protesters who use legitimate protests for agressive purposes. I'm absolutely convinced that the TU march this weekend was infiltrated as was the student march, then the media get excited about the tiny percent without having to address the bigger issues that caused the protest in the first place. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 Well I would... where are we meeting OSH and when? We have freedom of speech and freedom to voice that speech in peaceful protest....and we absolutely cannot allow ourselves the luxury of cynicisim ..... our children and grandchildren depend on us voicing our concerns and trying to get this right...in my opinion at the very least we should be standing up for the NHS the current proposals seem to me to be nothing more than privitisation by the back door...even the GP's are deeply unhappy... That said, I concede that other views also prevail, and this is not a political forum..... however where is Wolfie Smith now that we need him?? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted March 29, 2011 Author Share Posted March 29, 2011 Ah now, hasn't Robert Lindsay aged so nicely Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...