meezers

Candling query

It's now day 8, I've got rid of the one clear egg ( and it was clear )I now have 4 left which don't look as they are supposed to :? I can't see veins ( but I couldn't last year and they hatched - think my torch is not strong enough) two eggs I can see the yolk as a dark blob, can't work out if it's fixed or floating , is this good ? 1 egg I can see a dark bit but it's not yolk, the 4th, which I was sure was fertile seems to be completely dark except for the air sac- I'm assuming this is not good - it looks as though it's on day 20 not 8 :( please tell me the 2 with dark yolks are worth waiting for, or should I ditch the lot and start again . The eggs are under a broody so I don't want to wait too long before deciding to replace them.

The third one sounds ok

Always candle from the blunt end, the 4th may not be shaped very well so hard to tell

Not sure about the first two, if your torch isnt good then I'd be inclined to leave them

You are obviously experienced enough to tell the clear ones so have faith in the rest for now

Thanks. It's the 4th one that's surprised me , as when I candled on day 6 it was the only one I was sure of - but now it's gone from a blob to a big dark mass :(

Have you found that a broody can tell if an egg is infertile ? I ask as the one I threw was my Australorps.I thought it would be clear as she is top hen and Dandelion is too scared of her to do the job properly :lol: but everyday I've found this egg( and only this egg) stone cold where Muppet has pushed it outside of the nest. I wondered if she either knows it's infertile or it belongs to the top hen and she doesn't want to sit on it :lol:

Your discription sounds much the same as all 19 of the eggs in my incubator. They all have a dark lump that takes up about 2/3 and is fixed to one side, and that was at 5 days.

Although on a number of them I could also make out a spiderwork of veins.