neil

Feeding My Lawn

Hi Everyone,Can anyone of you help.

Thinking about feeding my lawn can i use anything from the gardencenter,

Or do i have to be careful,hate to make the chicks ill.

Read somewhere about the lawn needing lime?

Hopeing someone can help.

All the best to you all and your chicks.

Neil

Good question Neil, I had not really thought about it I suppose even if it says safe for children and animals it might be different for chickens because they are going to eat the grass not just play on it................... :?

Hopefully somebody will be along to answer the question.

Most garden centre products that say they are pet friendly still need to dry (if liquid ) or be washed in. The weed, feed and moss killer smells disgusting adn the dogs are attracted to it so I only apply it in the rain.

Lime will reduce/kill moss - if you have a very wet garden lime may be helpful. I use it every spring because the lawn is very wet and there are trees all around. It is a disgusting job and I try and choose a very still, damp day. Then keep my animals away until it has washed in which may explain why I was hosing the lawn at 9pm in the pitch black last Saturday.

I think the answer is look at the lawn and read the instructions!

Good luck

Hi.

When my girls arrived I was told I could keep them in the same place and just treat the ground with garden lime once a month. If you dig it into the ground it kills of bugs that build up and the chooks can go back on it straight away. So I would say that using lime on your lawn would be safe for the chickens.

Hope this helps.

Sammi :D

I use lime on the soil in the run. It's alkaline so helps to neutralise the acidic hen poo. I learnt the tip from an old smallholder - he said it sweetens the soil. Certainly Sybil and Pollo never show signs of ill effects from it and they usually try to eat a bit when I scatter it. I would think that the combination of poo and lime should suit the lawn a treat. You could always do that for half the lawn and try pet friendly fertiliser for the other half and then compare. Although I agree that I wouldn't like the thought of the hens eating grass that had been covered in chemicals.