Eggstravaganza Posted May 24, 2011 Share Posted May 24, 2011 Hi I got my first three chickens last week, known more affectionately as my Spice Girls (Ginger, Scary and Posh). I just need a bit of advice re their food. I am feeding them the organic food sold by Omlet and that is in the Grub attached to the run wall. Now do I just top that up as and when needed or should I only be putting in what they should need and throwing the left overs at the end of the day? I have just read the stickie re stale grain and don't want to make them sick. thanks Eggstravaganza Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Patricia W Posted May 24, 2011 Share Posted May 24, 2011 I just top up- it's too expensive to throw away! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chooks76 Posted May 24, 2011 Share Posted May 24, 2011 I bought a seed hopper and used that instead. That way the pellets tend to be eaten oldest first Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted May 24, 2011 Share Posted May 24, 2011 I wouldn't throw stuff away, on the other hand, for 3 chooks, you won't need to fill a Grub right up. Put about one scoop in each side to start off with, then at the end of the day, bring the Grub in (to stop rodents enjoying any left overs) and the next day tip all that is left in the Grub to one side, add just one more scoop into the blank side and tip back again, so mixing it all up. If your chooks don't seem to be eating it then you may need to add a few mealy worms so that they get tempted and get the idea of using the Grub. P.S. I love their names Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggstravaganza Posted May 24, 2011 Author Share Posted May 24, 2011 Thanks for the replies. They have got the idea of the grub no problem. I have been taking it out of the run at about 6pm so they then clear up all the bits on the ground - they are fairly messy eaters - in an attempt to avoid any rodent arrival. Today was my first day back at work since getting them and I have to say I actually missed just watching them pecking and scratching around. Can't wait for that first egg, although the delivery man said he thought that may be a month away. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...