susie16 Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 Hi, We are new chicken owners so are limited in our experience!! We have 4 hens and all 4 started to lay around 20 weeks, they are now 24 weeks old and 2 appear to have stopped laying this last week? Is this normal? please advise a novice!! Thank you, (we love our new friends!!) Ethel, Mabel, Doris and Marge!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
percy049 Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 One of mine stopped laying for a while, but check: 1) are they laying away from the nest? 2) when did you last worm them? and what with? 3) have you checked for lice? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
susie16 Posted May 31, 2011 Author Share Posted May 31, 2011 The Chickens were wormed when we brought them at 18weeks along with their injections. They are kept in a pen enclosure so haven't laid else where and I can't find any lice or any other "nasty" on them!! not sure what to think! can they do this sometimes, they seem happy and healthy , eating and drinking well! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bostock422 Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I know this might be a silly thing to ask, but it is relevant, are you sure they where 20 weeks old? When I first started out with chickens I got some at 20 weeks old (I was told they where 20 weeks old), and I'm sure they stopped laying after 6 months. So their age was more like 2.5 to 3 years, but if you're new to chickens you wouldn't be able to tell how old a chicken is by looking at it. But if they are 24 weeks and they've stopped laying that could be down to a number of things, illness included. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henergy Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 Mine were bought at point of lay and have generally been good layers - about a dozen eggs from the two each week. But they have had two occasions now where they both stopped for about 5 days. I have no idea about why really but on one occassion I did change their feed for a couple of days as I had a free sample. I have to come to the comclusion that they are quite easily affected by change of any sort. I also took my children on a chicken caring course & the lady there did say that over feeding can cause them to not lay - she showed me a typical days feed per chicken and it really isn't that much and that goes for treats too. Check healthwise, but I suggest laying off treats & just doing pellets for a couple of days & see how you go. Good luck (and often spookily simply posting here seems to get them laying as well Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
susie16 Posted May 31, 2011 Author Share Posted May 31, 2011 Thank you everyone for your kind help, I have my fingers crossed and will lay of any treats for a few days and see what happens! They seem so happy and healthy, it really is hard to know whats going on!!!! Will keep you posted! Sue x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 Pullets newly in lay often stop at random intervals initially, it takes a while to settle down Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...