emiflo Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 My Wyandotte has been sitting on 7 eggs for the past 21 days, she came off the nest (which is in a rabbit hutch) today with 3 chicks. On checking the nest 3 eggs were cold and one egg was hatching with a small hole and was rocking. The hen was off the nest in the run for just over an hour, until I shooed her back in with her babies and shut the door, the hatching egg was still at this point. Should I leave her shut in the hutch (there is food and water inside) for the time being hoping the other egg will hatch, or do you think it is too late and I should let her come and go into the run as she pleases? Any advice is much appreciated...thank you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
miller30 Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I would open the door and let her decide if its going to hatch or not i done the same as you about 2 weeks ago and i ended up with a chick who had a massive hole in it and its stomach was coming out i had to cull it my broody knew that she didnt want it to hatch leanne Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I'd try shutting her in (with chicks) to give the egg a chance. She'll either settle on it or she won't. I had a broody leave the nest in exactly the same circumstances and I brought the egg in to keep it warm and moist enough to hatch. I put the chick back under her that night but it was apparant the next day that she wanted nothing to do with it, so I stole another one of hers and raised the two together myself. He grew up into a very strapping Indian Game lad. Good luck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
emiflo Posted May 31, 2011 Author Share Posted May 31, 2011 Thank you! I have just opened the hutch and she has come out with four chicks, one slightly damp so it made it, and another looks like it's hatching, phew! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted June 2, 2011 Share Posted June 2, 2011 Great news - don't forget to keep us updated with PHOTOS!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...