ajayb Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 Can anyone on the forum help, please? I'm looking for some Columbine or Skyline POLs in Scotland (we're right in the centre, halfway between Glasgow & Edinburgh). George Ogilvie in Midlothian normally has them but won't have any more until September and I'm going round in circles trying to source them! Any help much appreciated. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 George Ogilvie was just who I was going to suggest - Maisie, my Columbine, came from him. Sorry, I don't know where else has them . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 A few Scottish breeders ( although not necessarily of Columbines)listed in the back pages of Practical Poultry. Cream Legbars also lay blue eggs & might be easier to find. Hope you find what you're looking for soon - don't forget pics Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ajayb Posted May 31, 2011 Author Share Posted May 31, 2011 Thanks for both replies - I'll check the Poultry Mag (have already checked 'Smallholder'/ Preloved/ AdTrader & Gumtree as well as a lot of online search results ...) I'm sure there are breeders in Fife, but I can't find them via the web and thought a Forum user might just know. (I've had a Cream Legbar before - wonderful eggs! - but my experience of hybrids and purebreeds suggests that the hybrids are easier chooks all round, so I was planning to go down the hybrid route this time. Expect I'm unlikely to stick to my resolve, though!) Further info welcome. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 "hen keeping made easy fife" Jocelyn Scott I think. Sells Eglus & does hen boarding. Don't know if she sells columbines but I thought she has/had legbars. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ajayb Posted May 31, 2011 Author Share Posted May 31, 2011 Thanks again, Alison! Checked out the site and don't see the hybrids I'm after but have e-mailed her anyhow. Purebreeds laying for only half of the year are a bit of a luxury this time around as I'm only planning on 3-4 chooks - that's why I'm not looking for another Legbar. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted May 31, 2011 Share Posted May 31, 2011 I think a chap near me has araucana crosses - Doune Traditional Poultry. Don't know anything about him but I know a couple of people who have bought from him. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ajayb Posted June 1, 2011 Author Share Posted June 1, 2011 Thanks again - I know who you mean: John & Sarah @ Doune Traditional & Rare Breed Poultry. I'll e-mail them to see what they've got. I've bought a number of purebreeds from them before and didn't realise they had hybrids too. Also,Jocelyn Scott got back to me with the name of a breeder (Mrs Rettie) in Perthshire whom I'll phone (although obviously someone more local would be great) and has told me of some 'Dolly Blue' hybrids she can source. The outlook's not quite so gloomy now! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...