rachelk

Itunes help

Does anyone understand Itunes?

My husband has got a new computer and without my knowing has done 'something' to Itunes. He had all the music stored on a seperate drive which has been transferred to the new computer. He has installed Itunes onto the new computer, and tried to move all the music across. Some, but not all of the music has reappeared in the new Itunes, but some has disappeared.

My question is - I've still got the missing music on my Ipod. Is there any way that I can get it from the Ipod onto the computer without using the only options it gives me - ie transfer purchases, and erase and sync, which will replace the music on the Ipod with that in the new library? Is there some way of using it as a hard drive somehow? PLEASE can someone explain it in simple terms!!!!???

Thanks!

Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted. However, when I plug the Ipod into the computer, I can't see it in my computer, so it all falls down at the first hurdle! It might be because I stupidly clicked on the manually manage music box, so I think I might have made the whole think a lot worse.

Any ideas? I'm getting desperate now!!

Thanks for that link from me too.

My hard drive died over the weekend and I have lost everything.

Was just about to back up too,as I had just completed the years accounts :roll:

However I did update my pod last week,so if this works at least my music is safe.

Would have thought itunes would save it on their system,like Amazon does for Kindle,and am annoyed that they don't,especially as you pay for the downloads.......

Itunes does save all the things that you have bought, so they should be save. Its the things that I have put into the library myself that is the problem, I don't have all the CD's to put them back on again. I have even offered £20 to teenage daughter who is a whiz at these things to make it all magically reappear, and she can't do it, so think I may have have had it :(

this is the second time OH has done this, I threatened to leave him last time, perhaps he's trying to tell me something ...... :roll:

Always back up both your iTunes library AND the iTunes settings files (stored under your windows user profile). This makes it really easy to move to a new PC or drive, as long as you install the exact same version of iTunes.

This saves you from having to do anything else, I expect your other half may have missed out the settings files? Also, as it's a new PC it won't be authorised to play your purchases you will need to authorise it first (otherwise it will delete them off your iPod when you next sync!). You can authorise up to 5 PC's at once.

We have now established that some of the Itunes library seems to be missing, but we can't work out where its gone! It was all stored on a separate external drive which has just been moved across to the new computer so in theory there isn't anywhere they can have gone. We have done all the authorising the new computer bit, and that doesn't seem to have had any effect.

OH is suddenly more interested in trying to resolve it now that he has realised some of HIS music has gone too :roll: