Badgerbees

Feeding bees in September

I'm a new beekeeper but I know I need to feed my bees this September, preferably by mid-September. I'm also on holiday the first 2 weeks of September. Traditional beekeepers just use a huge feeder (3 gallon) and leave it. What is the best way to keep my bees fed while I'm away, as a big feeder wont fit a beehaus will it?

Make sure you remember to do a varroa treatment before you overwinter them as well - we didn't last autumn as ours was a relatively new colony, by the spring the varroa had reached critical levels and we have been practicing backwards, beginner beekeeping ever since! Our second hive now has its Apiguard on, and should have enough stores to not need feeding in the autumn.

Feeding before the winter should be using a rapid feeder (contact will do, but not as good). I use smaller rapid feeders, as mentioned earlier, rather than 3 gallon ones. However, we have the advantage that the bees are in our garden and not an out apiary. Hence we can refill every night (yes, they can take down that much...) I'm not sure if one of these will fit in a Dartington super. Alternatively, buy a national super to put on while you are feeding, as they should be a fit (if I have read my Dartington plans correctly). A Dartington super could easily be converted into a rapid feeder and not be too heavy for the hive.