joybelle

Egg yolk quality

Ever since I got chickens four years ago I`ve always wanted a white star, well I`ve now got one,

even though she`s a noisy little blighter she`s great apart from the colour of her eggs. The yolks

are a very pale cream colour and I dont know why. She eats the same food as the other new ones

and their eggs are perfect.

One of mine who has just started laying has paler yolks than the others too.

What greens do you give - I've tried lettuce and spring cabbage but nothing gets eaten ! The only thing they will eat is chickweed but as I don't have any in the garden naturally I grow it & don't ever have enough to last more than a few days before I have to reseed it !!

Sorry, I'm sure you've done everything, am just trying to think of all the things that could cause a pale yolk. The other one is anaemia due to red mite/lice, but I'm sure you will have checked for that.

I used to have a link to a page about egg quality and causes of problems. Will see if I can find it.

Edited to add link: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/31/pale-yolks

Not a great deal of help as it is mainly about feed quality of commercial layers, although it's interesting that 1 in 20 will lay a pale yolk anyway!