Calamity Jane Posted October 7, 2011 Share Posted October 7, 2011 I am having a bit of a problem with my neighbours My 3 hens are happy and healthy , they free range every day and lay lots of lovely eggs. However, my neighbours chickens are not so lucky. #They have 6 chickens couped up in a small area. They never free range and dont even have anything to scratch about in, their run is concrete. A few occasions lately I have had to brush them off my fence and back onto their side. They have no problem jumping onto the fence even though it is 6ft high, they just jump onto their hutch first and then some sort of plank, there is no roof to their run and one of the sides is in fact my fence. I have been feeling very sorry for them as there is a hole in the fence and they can see all the lovely grass etc in my garden. A few weeks ago 3 of their hens actually got over in to my garden, and when I went round to inform them they just seemed to think it was funny. This morning one of them was in my garden so I picked it up and took it home. The couple next door again thought this funny, took the chicken off me and then told me they were just off on their hols, leaving a teenage son to care for chickens. Within minutes the hen was back, so I picked it up and dropped it over the fence. An hour later it was back and had brought another with it. I have left them free ranging in my garden all day. I would say that my hens have been separated from them by a small fence. What on earth do I do now. My 3 are back in their run ready for bed etc.... and the 2 renegades are wandering around. Neighbours have gone on hols. Teenager has not even realised he is missing 2. If he doesnt come knocking I will take them back of course, but - and here is my problem - if I tell him they KEEP coming over he might not let them out of their hutch at all. I cant see him being able to fix a roof on the run on his own. Any ideas ? Well done if you got to the end of this rant................ jane Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Calamity Jane Posted October 7, 2011 Author Share Posted October 7, 2011 Have just noticed, a dark blue tarp has been hammered in place as a roof to the run. Teenager must be home - has he not noticed he is missing two ? This also means that not only do they have no room they now have no light !!!!!!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted October 7, 2011 Share Posted October 7, 2011 Do you know how long the parents are away for? If it is not long then their confinement might not be too bad and you could perhaps have a word with the parents when they get back and say that hens thrive better if they have a little bit of free ranging. Or, if you don't feel that bold, you could say that 'did they know, egg yolks are lovely and rich and much yellower if chickens have some greens to eat'. Or easier still, you could take round a 'present' from time to time for the chickens of some nice leafy treats or part of a coconut. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Calamity Jane Posted October 7, 2011 Author Share Posted October 7, 2011 I returned the chucks at about 6.30, I think I was panicking a bit. I am sure they will be fine. Teenage son informs me they get all the veggie peelings etc. Only worrying thing was that he informed me they had lost one last week - and it hadnt returned (!) , he thought this was funny ! No-one asked me if I had seen it at the time. Perhaps I am too precious with mine, but I'd know if one was missing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...