TheChookKeeper

Ill-fitting queen excluder?

I've questioned various people on this before, and they don't seem to be having the same problem as me with the queen excluder supplied with the Beehaus...

Earlier in the year, I took a photo of it in place - so am now posting it, to see if anyone can tell me if I'm doing something completely wrong?!?

As you can see in the picture, there is a whacking great gap up either end of the frames, and the potential for a gap in the join between the two parts of the excluder.

Why on Earth make it in 2 pieces?!?

Can anyone enlighten me?

P1010664.jpg

indeed it is... i found half width of duct tape above and below sticking the two together (with appropriate gap inbetween) solved the problem.. ataully did this all round as well to give a lip

i presume they are half sized, because otherwise you would not be able to move them up a level into the supers if you want to attempt to raise mini nucs in second the second levelup.. or just wante to give more room for laying, also alows the option of opening up one super to encourage them to move up and start drawing the comb while keeping an existing one filling nest to it without risk of laying.

tho see 13:50 onwards on here http://www.omlet.co.uk/tv/tv.php?page=watch_video&video_id=375&name=Expert+Beekeeping+Tips they are supposed to be transverse on the hive so they fit under each super.. still not a perfec fit, but a lot better than as you currently have them

best of luck

mmm - duct tape probably isn't a bad idea at all.

I'm pleased to hear I'm not the only one!

Regarding your suggestion that they should go on in line with the frames - granted, this does make a lot of sense - but when I last moaned about this, I was told the slits should go perpendicular to the frames. Who knows. Probably doesn't really make a lot of difference to the bees.

I was going to measure up to see if I could get a proper queen excluder from Th*rne or someone, and see if that would fit. I have a wooden National too - and the queen excluder on that is positively lovely to use.

I've moaned at Omlet about their QE - but obviously, that could take a while for them to sort out! If they do at all, of course!

I'm glad you have got an answer - I looked at your photos and could see it didn't look right, but not having a Beehaus I couldn't really advise. I don't know the relative size of the Beehaus to a National, but I guess one of those plastic 'harmless' QXs could be cut down to size - although I am not a big fan of those, I'd rather have a mesh one.

Regarding your suggestion that they should go on in line with the frames - granted, this does make a lot of sense - but when I last moaned about this, I was told the slits should go perpendicular to the frames. If they do at all, of course!

Doesn't matter a jot with top space

If I had a Beehaus (I have a friend with one) I would make my own excluder. Thornes have wire excluder grills in their sale....you can frame them yourself.