AndreaT Posted February 29, 2012 Share Posted February 29, 2012 I've just noticed that 4 out of 5 of my girls have developed a small bald patch on the front, right hand side of their necks! I can't tell if the other one has it or not as she is just coming out of a moult. The last couple of mornings when I've been out to them they have all been out of the run, this has been at 6.15 so is still dark! I checked the coop for nasties with the torch but couldn't see anything and they are happy to go in in the evening. Could it be that they're all having a mini moult in exactly the same place even thought 3 of them are in lay and are early birds, or could there be something sinister going on? Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted February 29, 2012 Share Posted February 29, 2012 I doubt if it's anything sinister - if it was mites or something like that, it's unlikely that it would all be in the same place on each hen. I suspect that they have all rubbed their necks on the same spot - is there something tasty just outside the run that they might have been stretching for? Have you moved the feeder or drinker and they are rubbing on something when they stretch for it? that sounds much more probable to me. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
AndreaT Posted February 29, 2012 Author Share Posted February 29, 2012 Thanks Olly. I did wonder if the grub was a little too high so I've lowered it and they do like to stick their heads through the netting to get to the grass so I guess that could be causing it too. They quite often stretch too far through and get bit stuck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...