Shirl Posted July 1, 2012 Share Posted July 1, 2012 I have musing for some time getting a couple of geese or turkeys to grow on for Christmas. I realise now I would have to get some that were a few weeks old to have them ready in time for Christmas. Which is better to keep in a garden? We only have 1/2 an acre with quite a few shrubs etc around the one side and a small "wooded" area. Which is likely to be the quietest and make the least mess? Any advice or experiences welcome. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jessy27 Posted July 6, 2012 Share Posted July 6, 2012 I would go with the turkeys, geese are much louder and messier. So if you have no preference get turkeys either one should be delicious. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 7, 2012 Share Posted July 7, 2012 I would also go with turkeys but would point out that neither are very easy to cull If you plan to do this yourself I would suggest some hefty pure breed cockerels if you are sufficiently remote to get away with the noise Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Shirl Posted July 7, 2012 Author Share Posted July 7, 2012 DP is going on a course to learn how to cull so hopefully he'll manage. I might have to rethink. I'm not sure now as our girls free range and I've read about blackhead in turkeys. We do have a cokeral at the moment although he is only young and someone elses is starting to compete with him. I'm not sure how understanding the neighbours would be. I don't have a great deal of time to think this through as I should already have started growing the Christmas dinner. I might have to leave it until next year. Thanks for the advice. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 7, 2012 Share Posted July 7, 2012 you could always get some day old chicks from somewhere like Poulet Anglais later in the year, by the time they are crowing they are nearly ready to go Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Shirl Posted July 8, 2012 Author Share Posted July 8, 2012 I guess I could. The OH and I are wanting to raise chickens for meat which is why he's doing the course. I suppose I thought we ought to get something else for Christmas dinner but the truth is we won't need a huge bird. Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...