Stevie Adams Posted July 4, 2012 Share Posted July 4, 2012 Hi, I'm having quite a difficult time getting my two new chickens settled in. We had 3 girls, recently lost one and two weeks ago we got two new ones to put in with the remaining two. I knew there would be a bit of fighting to establish a pecking order (although we were lucky with the last two) but we're having real problems with these ones. We've got an Eglu go with the run attached and we've got that inside an area of netting. We kept the two separate for a few days and gave them an hour or two running around together so they can get used to eachother, but it seems whenever they're together, the big ones seem to want to kill the little ones. We've been separating them all day and putting them to bed together at night, but at every opportunity the big girls are really really vicious. One of the little ones even had a hole in her head where they'd pecked her so badly. The fighting is only during the day though - I have to let the little ones potter off to bed and when it's almost dark and the big ones are about to fall asleep where they stand, I let them in and they go straight to sleep no trouble at all. I really was hoping they would have sorted out their differences by now but it seems it's just getting worse. Is there anything I can be doing differently? We've not got the room or facilities to house them completely separately, and I really want to avoid that where I possibly can. We've tried anti pecking spray but that just doesn't seem to work. We've let them out into the hole garden together but they just split up into their two groups, the little ones find a hiding place somewhere while the big ones will wander the hole garden. If they find the little ones they'll chase them away again. It's really upsetting to watch as they're obviously doing more than showing them who's boss - I'm sure if I left them to it and didn't intervene, I'd have two dead chickens on my hands. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted July 4, 2012 Share Posted July 4, 2012 Unfortunately as you've discovered, bullying can sometimes be really serious. How old are the new chickens? I think you are trying to integrate them too fast - difficult as it is, you need to keep them apart during the daytime for a couple of weeks at least until they have got used to each other. Then you can try gradually introducing them, as you have noticed they are much calmer at night so putting them in to sleep together can be helpful as they will start to get used to the smell of each other, but you will have to get up early to separate them before pecking starts again. Can you borrow a spare run, a dog crate or anything like that to provide some temporary housing? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stevie Adams Posted July 4, 2012 Author Share Posted July 4, 2012 They're 17 weeks old - the others are about a year! Luckily my other half works nights so let's them out when he gets in and they're separated most the day! I'll just keep persevering with them I think! I don't want to give up! Someone suggested separating the main culprit for a while and then reintroducing her and they'll treat her like the new one?? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 4, 2012 Share Posted July 4, 2012 Yes you can try that. Personally if its not possible to separate and as long as no blood is shed I would be inclined to push through this, it wont last forever Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted July 6, 2012 Share Posted July 6, 2012 Just going to echo really, I let it take as long as it takes, they are all different, but by 8/10 weeks my worst ones were ok. as long as they have enough space.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
minieggs Posted July 7, 2012 Share Posted July 7, 2012 When we added two new ones to an existing two, there was a lot of bullying and they just didn't seem to get on at all for the first day. We took the main culprit out of the run and let her free range around it, while the other 3 stayed in the run. She seemed very miffed about being stuck outside away from her partner in crime, the other older hen retreated to the eglu for the day and sulked, while the 2 newbies could enjoy the run. There was a bit of squarking and rearing up at the new girls through the run for about an hour, but after that she just chilled out, we let her back into the run and all was good from then on! I think we were really lucky that it settled so quickly, but definately taking the ring leader away from her comfort zone helped. Good luck with your introductions Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
windway Posted July 8, 2012 Share Posted July 8, 2012 Hi. I recently had exactly the same situation as you, although my new ones were not even given a rest at night - the older ones would bully them even in the coop. I borrowed a cat carrier and the new ones had to sleep in that. It's terrible when they are bullying the new ones. Mine were seperated completely for three weeks (i have an extension on my run and seperated them that way). When i finally let them be together, the bullying lasted a few hours but was so less vicious than before. I now have four happy hens - wehey. So, although it's really really hard to begin with, stick with it, give them three or four weeks seperated and it will be much easier after that Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Stevie Adams Posted July 10, 2012 Author Share Posted July 10, 2012 Hi guys Thanks for all your help - I went away this weekend and left the other half with the girls and when I came back, it was like a miracle had occurred. NO FIGHTING They're still not the best of friends but they can tolerate being within a few inches of eachother. The new girls still run away from the older ones, but not because they're being chased, I think they're still a bit petrified of them. Oh well, now that's settled, they might start laying the cream and blue eggs I've been looking forward to. YAY!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hoggiehall Posted July 23, 2012 Share Posted July 23, 2012 Hi We had a similar experience in May when we introduced two chooks to our surviving chook (hennypenny) who was originally part of a pair. Unfortunately Hennypenny really wanted to show her authority and literally pecked one of the new ones constantly, drawing blood in just a few hours, and taking the flesh in her neck off down to the bone. It was quite horrific. We had to isolate Snowy in a seperate housing for a couple of weeks until the wound healed. We would let them all FR during the day after her wound dried, but they would be seperated at bedtimes. We tried the sprays - no good, we order the bits - had no idea how to fit them, nor did the vet! It wasn't for about 4 weeks when we tried to put all 3 into the Eglu at night. We were very anxious. We would then seperate them again during the day or let them FR as soon as we opened the door. Now they sleep well together with no serious pecking. We are so pleased as we really never thought it would come to this and we were all so stressed. Now we have a 2m WIR to go on the end of the 2m run and we are going on holiday. I hope to leave the Eglu door open as we can only get carers to visit once a day. Hang on in there! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...