LottyJ1 Posted July 6, 2012 Share Posted July 6, 2012 Hi All, My oldest ex-batt has got up this morning slowly and when I checked her her crop still has squishy food in it. She has done a very liquid poo but is now very sleepy. I have just ordered some Avipro and i'm going to get some maggots now this morning but i'm worried about giving her olive oil and syringing it into her lungs by mistake?? Any suggestions?? Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 6, 2012 Share Posted July 6, 2012 Just keep her head well back and drip it in slowly, stopping to let her swallow. Chickens don't have a gag reflex but you should be OK if you do it gradually. From your description it doesn't sound impacted, just blocked; massaging will help with this. Avipro is brilliant to ward off sour crop, which often follows an impacted crop. You can also give neat ACV, 5ml 3 times a day for 2-3 days. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted July 6, 2012 Author Share Posted July 6, 2012 Thanks Dogmother - Just got back from getting maggots (wild goose chase around Newport/Usk and Cwmbran) finally got a pint. Just gave some to her and i'm concerned as although she happily ate them she pecked a bit at them each time before eating them so i'm not sure if she killed them before eating them? I will try some oil in a bit and some ACV - thank you. When I massage it which direction should I do it in? Up or down? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 6, 2012 Share Posted July 6, 2012 I wouldn't worry, it takes a lot to kill a maggot You just need to massage the crop to break up the blockage, then feed the maggots afterwards. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted July 6, 2012 Author Share Posted July 6, 2012 Thank again - I will do this several times today and over the next few days. She isn't happy bless her she is sitting outside the back door making purring noises. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 6, 2012 Share Posted July 6, 2012 It could be that she has a blockage further down the digestive tract, in the gizzard or perhaps further down. See how it goes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted July 9, 2012 Author Share Posted July 9, 2012 Hiya, Well Laura chook is still here - her and Margot have finished the pint of maggots however she is still not right. When I let them out this morning i felt her crop and it isn't full but there is some squishy stuff in there. Her comb is still red but isn't as plump as its is normally and her tail is down. She has eaten maggots, had oil and I have been massaging the crop and giving her yoghurt with corn also. She is eating and drinking but maybe not as much as before. We have had her for two years now which makes her 3.5 years old which is very good for an ex-batt and she has never had even a day off colour so wondering if this is just her age and other problems occuring? I can't feel or see anything else wrong. Bless her Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted July 9, 2012 Share Posted July 9, 2012 I take it that something's coming out of the other end still? She's a very good age for an ex-batt, so you're to be congratulated on your care of her. It's impossible to say without seeing her as it could be anything, but I'd just continue to treat her symptoms and be vigilant. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted July 9, 2012 Author Share Posted July 9, 2012 Yep she is still doing the business but its quite watery. Thanks for all of your advice - its been great. I will continue to carry on with treating her and see what happens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted July 12, 2012 Author Share Posted July 12, 2012 Well all is looking good and she seems back to 100% - thank you for all of the advice and help! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...