superkitty Posted July 22, 2012 Share Posted July 22, 2012 My cat Beau has started burping! He's about 8 and in near-perfect health, but he used to have a bit of a sensitive tummy a few years back, which was solved (after unsuccessfully trying the veterinary diet foods that the vet suggested...which didn't make any difference) by switching him to Organipets organic dried food. Hes all up to date with his shots and for the last two years ive also paid for him to have the full blood screening at his annual booster appointment, to check kidney function etc. Always all clear (last time the vet said he didnt think he'd seen a better set of results in the last 18 months ) However, for the last couple of months I've noticed that he has started burping I work from home and he spends a large part of each day sleeping on my desk ...and about once every couple of hours, he'll have a big belly rumble followed by an actual release of air from his mouth (which smells a bit). So I guess that's a cat burp...although I've always had cats and I've never encountered a cat burping before! So I guess something is going on with his digestion...but what? He still seems in fine health, hasn't lost or gained any weight, normal teeth, solid normal poos, not throwing up or anything (apart from the occasional half-digested mouse ), eating and drinking normally ....so what do I do? I'm worried that it's a sign of something more worrying...but what? And what should I do about it? Happy to spend any amount of money (he's my baby!) ....but not sure on what. I asked the vet and he said about maybe switching him to a Hills diet and seeing what happens - but that didn't work last time when he had a dicky tummy (which is how I ended up using Organipets) And I prefer to feed them on more natural, less processed stuff if I possibly can. I thought of switching him from dry to wet food (they have Lily's Kitchen wet food occasionally as a treat, I could switch him to that?) Sorry for the long post but I just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar or had any advice...? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 22, 2012 Share Posted July 22, 2012 I have heard good things about the Fine Fettle happy tummy charcoal supplement I have some for my chickens but know of several people whose dogs have it too, when my dog had an obviously upset tummy the other day this seemed to calm it within an hour I'd assume you can give it to cats too but the company would be able to clarify that I am sure Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
freddie Posted July 22, 2012 Share Posted July 22, 2012 My three all Parp from the other end. Clears the room, of humans within seconds Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted July 23, 2012 Share Posted July 23, 2012 Foggy burps but i think he gobbles his food down to quickly, i have taken to putting small amounts out during the day which seems to work. He's not your normal kind of cat though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superkitty Posted July 23, 2012 Author Share Posted July 23, 2012 Actually, beau gobbles a bit as well...hmmm. Happy Tummy is on order! Will report back - thanks everyone Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted July 23, 2012 Share Posted July 23, 2012 Does Happy Tummy work for humans too? I could do with some for hubby (He blames the dog but I'm not so sure...) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superkitty Posted July 24, 2012 Author Share Posted July 24, 2012 They do Hooman capsules too, I actually ordered some for myself as well (long story involving my dentist prescribing me clindamycin as an antibiotic which basically gave me c. Diff.! Mostly sorted now but still some 'bloaty and gassy' leftover problems ) So I will report back on both Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...