BrightonSteve

Laying & eating 'eggs' with no shell or yolk

My Sussex hybrid has always been an erratic layer but now she's laying eggs with no shell and quite often no yolk - and then eating it. I've been keeping a careful eye on her to spot when she disappears into the nest box, to see what the results are - the last few days it's simply been a puddle of egg white which she then starts eating before I get it cleared up.

There's no sign of any yolk and most days no sign of any shell - although yesterday there was a small lump of crushed shell (about half an egg's worth, crushed together) - I couldn't tell whether the 'white' had been laid within this shell or whether it was laid separately - the shell was between roosting bars, not in the nest box with the white.

She's otherwise healthy and perky, eating well, plenty of fresh water, grit etc and has recently been wormed. Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do to stop it?

I haven't got a solution I'm afraid. My RIR is a bit the same, although there is usually a yolk and a bit of shell. The others see her lay and go running over to eat the spoils - greedy things. She layed two in quick succession tonight while FR. She has had a few problems with looking miserable with softies and has spent a night on a hot water bottle. Have tried cod liver oil on food and hiding oystershell and crushed eggshell in yoghurt so far to no avail. Still hoping she will manage normal eggs so watching for replies with interest! She is the most high maintenance chook with her softies, tucke in tail when they are coming and today she has a terrible limp but she is also the friendliest and cheekiest! Hope you get yours sorted soon. I have heard limestone flour in food (?) is good but as I still have a young one (welsummer, not young, but less mature) didn't want to risk it.

Hi I'm beginning to think this is a breed thing. Your light sussex sounds exactly like mine. Shell less eggs & then scoffing them down. I have mentioned her in other threads. I am certain it's nothing to do with diet or environment ( all my other hens lay perfectly decent eggs) and therefore something to do with her innards. However I have just received a hugely expensive calcium supplement which you add to their water, so I'll see if this makes a difference. It's called Shell Max and costs £16 + postage. I'll let you know How we get on. Alli x