counturchickens

2 call ducks....?

We're about to move to a larger garden and am seriously thinking about getting a pair of call ducks. If we do get a boy and a girl might nature take it's course and produce ducklings? Sorry if this a really stupid question :oops: and if they do, would we need to swap the drake to stop him making babies with his daughters?

Also, can I assume that if the duck doesn't sit on the eggs then they are safe to eat I.e. not going to have little ducks inside.

I feel a bit silly asking, but am trying to think ahead. Finally, could I get some sept/oct or should I wait until the spring?

Oh how exciting :dance: I'm sure some others with more experience than me will answer soon, but I have two little call ducks and darling little things they are too. I have one boy and one girl Call Duck, but am intending to add another girl shortly if I can find the colour I am after.

Eggs - I think your question about eating the eggs may be theoretical i.e. Call Ducks are not known for their egg laying prowess :roll: My girly call duck laid and hatched some eggs back in June just before she was given to me. Sadly none of her offspring survived :( but that was what made her then owner pass her on to me so every cloud has a silver lining. Anyway she has not laid an egg since :roll: However, like chickens the eggs would be edible providing they are collected when freshly laid and have not been sat on.

If your girly duck lays eggs and they do produce more girly ducks, I don't think that the drake mating with his daughters is as big an issue as it is in chickens. More important would be to make sure you don't have more than one drake, not because they would fight but becaust they would over-pester and dammage the girl ducks come Spring or just fly off to look for other girl ducks and letting Call Ducks into the wild is illegal.

What colours are you getting?