miffy Posted August 2, 2012 Share Posted August 2, 2012 Hi, last week we bought 3 beautiful bantam chicks (hybrids). They are fully feathered, off heat lamp, but had never been outside. They cheep beautifully (I know this as I have spent many hours sat watching and listening to them ) One has the beginings of a comb but not the others, yet. They are currently on chick crumbs and growing rapidly. Can anyone give me any idea how old they are and when I should change them to growers pellets or layers pellets. I've never had such young chicks before. Also, they never go inthe eglu at night but cuddle up together in the run. I have taken the bars out and put plenty of bedding in there. Its been power washed and cleaned with poultry shield so I'm confident its not red mite . I cannot get into the run to reach them to put them inside. Can any one offer any suggestions please. Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted August 2, 2012 Share Posted August 2, 2012 They sound lovely. Can you post some photos then people may be able to judge their age. Did the breeder not know their age? Could you ring and ask? After chick crumbs they will neeed to go onto growers not layers. Layers given too early can lead to problems as it has too much calcium (I think that is the reason)for young chicks. If they are off heat in a week or two you could probably start to add in some growers to their crumb and gradually change them across, without knowing their age it is hard to know when they should change to growers When we moved the chicks outside, I put a torch into the eglu as it started to get dusk and then they followed the light. I would give that a try. If need be you could try to encourage them in with a broom Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
miffy Posted August 3, 2012 Author Share Posted August 3, 2012 Thanks for your reply, had visitors arrive yesterday so no chance to check forum. I have tried a torch but perhaps I should leave it a bit longer. I have just asked OH to take some pics and I hope to post them later. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...