batcatz

Help! Has Mother Hen left ducklings too early?

Hi, I thought Mother hen would leave them when fully feathered or 6 to 8 weeks?

I let the ducklings out with Dotty, Mother hen this evening. They had a good swim in their new kid's paddling pool. Dotty went in chicken run and dust bathed, then she put herself to bed in the eglu. oooops! The ducklings have been calling her, but not constantly. Her cluck reply is almost a relaxed telling off cluck for those that understand chicken mum speak! The ducklings are doing the high pitched call, but it's also not too desperate or constant - not like a few weeks ago. I wonder if I made a mistake in letting them out until chicken bedtime or if it is time Dotty went back to dry land! lol.

The two ducklings are 4 weeks old tomorrow. They are huge, have grown short tail feathers, the top of wing feathers and the rest of them is covered in woolly down.

I am tempted to intervene and put Dotty back in with ducklings, but I don't want to if not right. Dotty has been looking a bit down and doesn't like her wet feet. She purrs so loudly when dust bathing back in the chicken run. She is not squealing or skidding back to ducklings since about Sunday. She is still pointing out food to them and even gave them a crushed snail earlier. The ducklings are independent, but still want their mummy. ahhhhhh. How sad.

Advice please, thanks.

Hi it may be early but they should be fine its not cold and if they are huge like you say she sounds like shes had enough what my broody did was went to bed with the chickens but a few times in the day she would jump in the pen with her ducklings spend a bit of time with them and then go they will call her for a few days but will get the hint shes not coming back leanne :)

Hi, thanks. I saw your reply last night, but didn't get a chance to reply as I was trying to get my cat in for ages. Also didn't get dinner. lol. I let the chickens and ducklings out as soon as I got up this morning and they ran straight to Mum. It's great as the other chickens are fine with the ducklings. I think it will be as you say now and Mum will sleep with the chickens. She was back in the duckling run just now.

I heard a proper quack today! I think it is as I suspected at one or two weeks - a duck and drake. It was quite easy to tell due to the size of the feet, and I can see the tail feathers are different too. The drake has two downy feathers one, in front of the other and the duck just has straight feathers and a much shorter bottom. lol.

I need to build their proper duck run soon so they can swim in the pool in a safe area. They are all freeranging together at the moment.