newcountrygirl

integrated chickens

:) Decided to put my three older girls in with the younger chicks today. They are 20 weeks old and I have had them in two runs adjacent to one another for the past 8 weeks. Put Matilda the Golden Partridge Pekin in first cos she is very friendly. She just ignored them - so put the other two - Matilda the Gold Laced Wyandotte and Gladys the Campine/Silkie cross in as well. All ok for about 10 minutes then they started to have a go at the newbies. Had the water pistol ready and admit to giving a few squirts - but after half an hour of no squabbling I left them to it and came inside to make lunch. Just crept back out there and observed them from behind a bush - so far so good - all dug in having dust baths. So - we shall see.........................................

The older ones have kept having the odd go at the young ones but so far nothing too serious. Just been out - the three young ones marched into the henhouse and got up on their perches. The three older ones are still mooching. I shall go out again in a while and see if they are all tucked up together. Keep fingers crossed.