kentuckyfried

Tame quail?

I bought a pair of quail yesterday- coturnix japonica. I expected them to be flighty and skittish, which one is (doesn't like being handled at all) but the other seems really tame, and will sit on my lap and make funny noises, like purring. Is this normal? I don't think they have been handled much (from a large garden centre chain that also sells chickens) but this one is very friendly, which is a very very pleasant surprise!

Rosie is still the tamest quail I have had by a mile. She is now a year and a bit old, and has been part of a flock for a good 6 months, but still runs to me if she sees me, and often comes out for snuggles :)

Most of the flock are being dispatched this week to have as part of Christmas lunch, but Rosie and a couple of friends will be saved. I am hoping to move them to my friends smallholding in the spring- that way she won't be eaten, and can live out her days in an aviary.