Yorkshire Pudding

How to find land to rent

I am mad keen to keep a couple of pigs for meat. Our back garden isn't large enough (and the neighbours would complain!), so I want to rent a small patch of land to keep them on.

However what I cannot find is anywhere that lists potential rentals - all I can find is equestrian grazing land, where the owners won't consider pigs because of the damage they do to the grazing.

Has anyone here found a good source of rentals?

We had to promise not to let the pigs on our field as they would ruin the grass, luckily there was an area of aprox 30 x 10ft with an ark that we could use and which housed the two pigs comfortably so you dont need a massive space

finding that will be tricky though as you are finding

An option would be to approach a smallscale farm and see if you can buy two pigs and keep them on site. As the paperwork for pigs is a little more in depth than other animals an option would be to 'rent' the pigs and commit to buying the meat upfront, keep them at the breeders and visit them regularly.

We dont have a trailer so every time we send an animal off we have to arrange transport and all the paperwork etc which although isnt too tricky is a minefield if you havent done it before so personally I would look for an easier option the first time - I wish we did!

Thanks for your replies, there are a couple of ideas there that I hadn't thought of. Our local farm supplies shop wasn't able to help beyond suggesting I put a postcard in their window, which I will do next weekend.

We have a couple of local farms that keep rare breed pigs, I may well approach them and see if I can get some experience that way (although I will probably have to avoid the organic farm as the meat, although delicious, is ridiculously :shock: expensive).

OH has been looking for a one day pig-keeping course for my Christmas present 8) , and DS2 (who is ten) is spending a day in half term with our butcher, who is going to show him how they cut and make sausages and pork pies... so I think when I do eventually get my porkers, we will be able to use everything but the oink!