Surfnirvana

Broken leg...

My favourite Columbian Blacktail - Mary was freeranging with her 5 other friends in the garden yesterday afternoon. I go and check on them every hour or so, but when I went out to collect the eggs from the Cube, I noticed that Mary was standing on 1 leg, and balancing with her wing. I picked her up carefully. She couldn't grip with her toes and moving it was painful for her. I had some metacam left over, so quickly gave some orally to ease the pain and made an appointment at the vets.

He examined her and instantly confirmed my fear that she had broken her leg (the top thigh bone) which is why she couldn't put any weight on it at all. He did say that if we kept her isolated, it could possibly mend over about 6 weeks! However, as she was still in lay, that would cause a problem as she needs to have the use of both legs to balance and push the egg out. If she couldn't do that, she would become egg-bound.

The end result is that she was put to sleep :( . I gave her 2 of her favourite grapes just before, which she gulped down and then she fell asleep. So sad, but the vet was very kind and I feel I made the right decision.

I just have no idea how she did it! She was a real jumper, so maybe she knocked it somehow. I'm feeding them all layers pellets with the odd bit of brocoli or greens if they are in their run all day, so I don't think they would have any calcium deficiency. We will probably never know I suppose.

She was my "hawk Chicken" and would sit on my arm or shoulder as I walked around the garden - so friendly. I can't believe how upset we are loosing her - I think it's because she wasn't that old (under 2 years) and apart from the leg she was in really rude health!

This happened to one of my girls Eva...Except it was my fault :roll:

They were FR ing in the garden and I had the back door open ,she rushed up to the door and i did not notice her there and slammed the door shut breaking her leg.Sadly she was PTS but I now have a child gate at the back door and blame my self ...At least it was not your fault .