good_egg

Giant comb, no eggs

I should start this message by saying I'm not in a hurry for eggs, two if my girls are laying almost daily and that's more eggs than I expected. Although I am really looking forward to my first non-pink egg! Annette has a giant comb (bigger than Buffy) but isn't laying. She always had a bit more comb then Buffy, then Buffy came into lay and overtook her, but about a month ago Annette started to overtake again. It's not the bright red of Buffy or Dot, but it is quite red. She isn't crouching for us, but has been for Dot for a while. Basically I'm being a paranoid chicken mum and wanting to check she is ok and just not enjoying the winter and taking her time. Sorry!

It's a funny thing with hens they really are individuals!! :roll: I hatched last summer and my oldest hatchling hasn't laid yet (not even crouching!!) but the younger 2 have been laying for 2 weeks now!! Their mums aren't back to laying yet either!! But I guess by feb 14th is a sort of loose rule! I guess if they are healthy...... we must just be patient! :oops::roll:

She now has a bigger than giant comb, gigantic?, but its still quite pale. Not in a hurry to get eggs, just wanting to check that its ok I guess. She seems quite happy and healthy. Hoping she just can't be bothered with the laying business! All this week she has been popping up to the nest box though - sometimes with Dot and sometimes by herself.

:D

All this week she has been popping up to the nest box
Oooooo my 2 layers started doing that a week or so before laying!!! Does she crouch down for you if you put your hand on her back?? That's another good sign, mine were both laying week or so after crouching!

I'd keep on the look out for an egg! Especially with the days drawing out and that funny golden thingy in the sky putting in an appearrance!!! :dance: