Paola

Rats!!!!!

Ive discovered yesterday that I have rats coming in under the fence next to my hens run :evil: My neighbours compost heap is piled up high against the fence the other side and I believe they are living in there. Thankfully my hens feed storage is secure but I'm now bringing in the grub at night. I will tell my neighbour today but I hope that he doesn't blame my hens for attracting them :( He needs to get rid of the compost heap before we can get rid of them I supopose :?

your neighbour needs to get some rats bait down to tackly the problem first it'll much quicker to deal with the rats before the compost is moved as they feel safe in that area so will take the bait easier. there is a chance that if the compost bin goes first then the rats will try to find a new home on your land as ther is a steady source of food.also if he get trys to takle the problem then you want need to call the EHO in.I'd also put a bait box out through so that you can show that you are trying to tackle the problem yourself if your neighbour goes to the EHO. bait blocks aren't that expenecive and a bait box cost about a tenner any good feed/farm merchant should stock them try not to use the stuff you get from the big 'sheds' as a lot of the rat population are immune to it due to it not been used properly

Our neighbours garden is "abandoned" and we had rats as a result.

Didn't bother the neighbour (the sort of person best left alone if you know what I mean...) but putting a load of poison down in bait boxes on our side seemed to solve the problem. We just get mice now (well, the large mattresses in their garden I am sure make a great home :wall: ) and snap traps seem to keep on top of that problem.

Good luck! It's a pain when the neighbours are causing the problem, but you know your chooks will get the blame!

We get rats, we are next to farming fields that grow grain so it will always happen :roll:

I use the loose poison, but put it in little plastic bags and tie the tops. I shove these down the rat holes. They take these bags back to the nest. Then you "get" the whole group and not just the foragers :wink:

I find that the bag method doesn't work that well for the Allotment. when I took over pest control for the site I asked a few bait suppliers and a couple of pest control company experts and they all said that the main problem with rats taking bait back to the nest is that they store it for when food is in short supply with in most urban areas doesn't happen so a large ammount of bait doesn't get eaten. the advice I was given was to use a few bait boxes at key places around the site ,keep them filled year round and once the rats find them to be a safe food source to keep them in the same spot . 3 years on and the site has a manageable rat population which is what give the type of location we're in was all we good hope for that said most of the boxes hadn't been completely emptied when I topped the up Monday which was the first time since late November that I've had to top them up and all but had had the same ammount of bait in since new year