haslemerechicken

Hatching Runner ducks

Hi,

I'm about to try hatching a small clutch of runner ducks for the first time. Just wondered what others did for brooding as there seem to be many options!

There are the brooding boxes with lamp/bulb attachments, or the electric hens?

I was thinking of getting a large box/indoor cage and attaching a clip on lamp holder with a brooding bulb but I do also like the look of the electric hens.

Only plan on doing one or two hatches this year -just a hobby for ourselves that our son can join in with.

Any experienced hatcher/brooders who can tell me what worked best for them in the end?

Many thanks

Hi Haslemerechicken

firstly welcome to the Forum, as I see this is your first posting. I hope that you find a lot of useful advice here, I have. :D

I can't answer your question, but I'd be very interested to see what others with more knowedge of this issue think.

My first thoughts was that an electric hen probably would be unsuitable, so I did a few internet searches and there seems to be a bit of divided opinion. I have no idea how tall newly hatched Runner Ducklings woud be, as that would determine the height that you would need to have the electric hen at. I am slightly concerned as Runners have such long necks, and with hen chickens generally you just set the electric hen to a couple of inches from the bottom of the brooder tray, obviously it would need to be higher than this for ducklings?

Has anyone got some advise on this please?

Hi you can use an electric hen or heatlamp the electric hen would probs be better as its cheaper to run and ducklings dont need heat for as long as chickens as ducks are quite hardy.I have always hatched my ducklings around june time and all i do is put them in my hall way in a rabbit cage next to a radiator thats their only source of heat trouble with this is they are dirty little things and i would find food and poo flicked up my walls :lol: then at 6 weeks thay go out into a shed with plenty of straw and bedding food and water for about a week then i open the door and they go out into a pen leanne :)

Thanks for your reply Leanne, I knew that someone would be able to help out.

It means that I can just hunt out my electric hen for end of next week (if things go well - fingers crossed for the 4 eggs that I know are all fertile!)Fingers crossed that I may have little runners in 2 weeks time! :)