CrazyDaizy

Why do they keep "arguing?"

After the death of our old Chicken Amber (aged 5) we were just left with Bluebell (aged about 2) so we went out and bought a new young Chicken who is only around 15-16 weeks (she's not started laying eggs yet)

This was two weeks ago. The new Chicken is still quite cautious of our older bird, and the older bird tolerates the little one for most of the time now. Until it's bed time, then there still seems a lot of squawking coming from the Eglu. In fact the older bird goes in first, and the young one waits until it's dark before she goes in.

It just seems to be taking a longer time than usual for them to be ok with each other.

Am I doing something wrong?

I've had this with mine a couple of times younger birds not welcome at night sometimes from the first night after I've put them in sometimes after a few days and it's always taken a fair amount of time to settle down. the last lot were alright for about a couple of weeks before they were not welcome at bedtime and took 6 weeks to start to go in at night on their own. the only thing I can think that got them in the bad books in that coop was they tried to sleep in someone else's spot,

I don't think you've do anything wrong it's just chicken politics

I think two weeks is still fairly early for them to be settled, and to be honest I think you've been lucky if all they do is squabble a bit - I would have kept them apart for at least a couple of weeks, especially with the new bird being quite a lot younger and probably much smaller.

I introduced two new hens to a flock of four just five weeks ago, and it took four weeks for them to fully integrate, for the first two weeks they were in the same run but separated. Even now there is a bit of squawking and the new ones get jumped on occasionally, but this is normal behaviour as they have to establish the pecking order. As long as the new hen is not being kept away from food and water, and there's no actual damage, I would not worry about the odd argument - it's just Bluebell letting the other hen know who's queen.

I introduced two new chickens last week. A cockerel in with my four girls. Matilda squawked at him - he flapped his wings and squawked back. She cowered down and that was the last of it. They are all quite happy now and doing a lot of flirting. I also introduced a new Polish Frizzle in with my other Polish Frizzle. The older one has always been a lovely placid girl - but was a bit put out with the youngster. However she did let her go in to sleep. Today they were much better so i am keeping my fingers crossed they are ok now.

Thanks for all of your replies. We usually only have 2 chickens, so when we introduced Bluebell to our late bird a couple of years ago, they got on straight away. So I automatically expected Bluebell to accept any new friends that appeared. I have had Chickens take a couple of weeks before they're happy with each other, so I know what it's like.

I don't think keeping them separate would've helped. They have always been free in the garden and only put away at night. This is even when I've been at work all day, whereas with earlier chickens I'd have put them in their run. Knowing Ivy (our new chook) is still nervous of Bluebell, I've not done this.

Maybe where I've gone wrong is not letting Ivy (new chook) into the Eglu first at night, then when it's got dark open it for Bluebell to go in. That the only thing I've done different this time. Instead Bluebell goes in and Ivy nervously waits til it's got dark.

You live and learn! No two chooks are the same.