pips_pekins

DIY grooming and clipper advice

Apologies if this is in the wrong place or a repeated topic.

I take Stinky to the groomers but with the addition of Smelly in a couple of weeks, I am considering grooming them myself. They are both English Springers but I just want them to be easy to keep clean and look neat and tidy not show ring ready :roll: . So, my questions are: what clippers would you recommend and which websites have been useful in giving tips on how to successfully groom?

This came up when I was searching for a new pair of grooming scissors. Anyone know if it is any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sure-Clip-Meteor-Pet-Clipper-kxp-816/dp/B009Y3MDDQ/ref=pd_luc_mrairec_01_04_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Many thanks.

Sorry for such a delayed reply.

I clip our dogs. OH got me some Wahl clippers from PAH for less than £30.

They work really well, not as good as the £150+ ones you can get, but perfectly useable.

Having said that, they aren't clipping that well at the moment, but I haven't even had the blades sharpened in the 3 years I've had them! I rang Wahl and they do a repair / service thing - you send in your clippers and they send out a reconditioned unit for £15 I think. I guess they do it that way for a quick turnaround, rather than sending your own back.

Sorry for such a delayed reply.

I clip our dogs. OH got me some Wahl clippers from PAH for less than £30. I rang Wahl and they do a repair / service thing - you send in your clippers and they send out a reconditioned unit for £15 I think. I guess they do it that way for a quick turnaround, rather than sending your own back.

Thanks for the replies. Good to know you don't need to spend loads to get something useable. Sounds as though you get good aftercare service as well from Wahl so will certainly have a look at that make.

I have seen Furminators PL but as you say they are more for thinning. I ideally want something that will keep the fur short and tidy.