Poor Piperkit has been bitten :( we thought she had been bumped as she was very unhappy and unable to walk very well and her tail was tucked down. We took her to the v.e.t. last monday and they couldn't find anything wrong. She had an anti-inflammatory injection and I was given some stuff to give her.

We have since found that she has been bitten and in true cat style she keeps cleaning it, and now has a bald patch that is starting to look nasty :( . This was discovered yesterday and of course the v.e.t. is closed til monday.

My question is (as im going to phone the v.e.t. in the morning) can any suggest anything to put on it. What about purple spray?

Thank you

Cathy

X

Poor puss :(

Purple spray contains an antiseptic, doesn't it? And I'm sure someone has suggested using tea tree oil as they don't like the smell and stop licking.

You haven't got a cone of shame by any chance?

Hope Piperkit feels better after seeing the v.e.t tomorrow x

I'd say dilute it with a bit of water but I'm no expert...can you PM Dogmother? I'm sure she'd know what to do.

Failing that I'd wash it with diluted salty water then apply the 1:4 (tea tree:water) mix using either a cotton woool pad or kitchen towel.

Where is the bite?

The exact same thing happened to my cat Bertie last weekend. He licked a bald patch and threw up a hair all on the bed in the middle of the night. When I saw the wound I tried to bathe it in salted water. He was not happy!!!

I took him to the vet on Monday who gave him antibiotic injection. I asked about purple spray. Vet said not to use that but to use Sudocrem or other human cream. I'm sure they'll lick that off, but that's what she said to use!

Hope Piperkit gets on ok tomorrow.

warmed boiled and salted water will act as both an antibacterial and will draw out some of the infection.

If you are able to open it up (via a scab) and drain any infection, then do so if you can and keep bathing it with the salted water.

All this is quotes from my vet about how to handle exactly this situation.

Good luck!

:vom: , we had this a few yrs ago, a rat bit the cat on the bum.

we opened the wound(well one held wriggling hissing cat, and the other(me) got to business) there was much puss. Think "under pressure££.

Witha bite, there will prob be two wounds, so they both will need draining. We have wound powder from vet, it seems to do most things. be cautious with tea tree, it doesn't always agree with animals.. read up on tinterweb 1st

Have fun!!

Poor Piperkit :(

I would just bathe it with some warm salty water until you can get her to the vets. Have you got an 'Elizabethan' collar you could put on her until then?

I'm sure that my vet once told me that tea tree shouldn't be used on cats... it doesn't agree with them.

We've recently been through a saga with our cat Bertie (another one!). He had a bite which turned nasty and it was a devil to heal as he kept washing it :roll: Hopefully you won't have the same trouble with your girl- keep the collar on no matter how much she protests though!

Failing that I'd wash it with diluted salty water then apply the 1:4 (tea tree:water) mix

be cautious with tea tree, it doesn't always agree with animals.. read up on tinterweb 1st

I agree that tea tree is best avoided, it can be quite toxic. Dilute salt water (1 teaspoon to a pint) is the best thing to use. Keep the wound open by picking the scab off and bathe as often as you can. Let it heal gradually to that any infection and fluid can drain.

Thanks for all the comments.

Piperkit is feeling loads better :D I took her back to the vet (who apologised for not finding it last time - but it was a lot further down than she thought) she was given a slow acting 2 week anti-biotic injection (horray - no tablets :D )

she is jumping around the furniture like she used to :roll::D

I was told that I could bathe it in warm water with a pinch of salt if I thought it was needed, but really Piper would look after it herself well enough - apparently cats clean a wound until it starts to feel better then they leave it and just clean it when its needed. when we first had her and she had been spayed (is that the term) she has stitches in for a week of 2 then decided that they weren't needed and pulled them out herself - but she didn't play with them :think::vom::D

so, happy pussycat mummy here :D

Cathy

x