anamiya

What to expect after a suprelorin implant

My ex-bat Fhenton has peritonitis, she has been drained three times now, each drain between 5 - 8 weeks apart. After her recent drain we also did the suprelorin implant along with an injection recommended by a poultry vet (can't remember the name off hand but I can check her notes). The liquid from the drain was very yellow, and was 200ml so she is also on a 7 day course of antibiotics. She has seemed completely fine until today, 5 days since the implant, she hasn't eaten a lot today (crop not that full) but she gobbled up the catfood we offered her, she has been drinking, it also feels like her abdomen has filled with fluid again. The best way to describe her demeanour today is 'mopey'. What should we expect in the days and weeks after her implant, is this normal? I understand it takes 2 weeks for the implant to take affect.

My chickens got quite poorly around a week (I think) after their first implant. They would not eat, drink or leave the nestbox for 2-3 days then went into a heavy moult. There is a thread somewhere from around sept/oct 2011 which gives the exact timings. I syringe fed them with water and critical care formula during that time. They perked up a few days later. This has not happened with subsequent implants. I remember being extremely worried at the time and feeling terrible that I had made them worse. I hope your hen picks up.

Ihad my first ex-batt implanted in March after loosing several before this to peritonitis. Her implant took about three weeks to start to take effect. She was done subcutaneous so these can take longer.

I was very worried it hadn't worked as her tummy started to feel hot and squishy again but when it started working this went down :dance:

She went off her food and had a slow molt. I was feeding her maggots and syringing CCF like Egghead as that is all she would eat. But slowly after a few weeks after it started working she started to get up and eat her own food and now she will eat pellets, corn and sweetcorn etc. She does still eat less but is ok as she isn't producing eggs. Her legs are now a bit yellow and her comb has shrunk and is a bit dry (all is normal).

I check her tummy and pin bones every few days to check if it is starting to not work as we have another implant waiting at the vets. They tend to last 3-6 months depending on the hen.

Good luck

I watch for when they start crouching and then get them reimplanted immediately. They only got poorly with it the first time round. It works well but only for around a month at a time for one of mine so v. expensive.

Any news on Fhenton?

geez !!!!!!!!!!!!

an implant only lasting a month. !!!!!!!!!!!

there is a massive thread the the exbat forum about implants, you will need to join.

I rather suspect that the injection was Delvosteron to stop laying as this works faster... although it might have been an anti inflammatory or antibiotic injection also...

Please do bear in mind that it will only work if it is Egg peritonitis... if the peritonitis is caused by something "nasty" then sadly not a lot will help... fingers crossed though as it has helped many chooks...

I asked to switch to delvosteron but the vet said it is now massively expensive because of a change in the way it is licensed (?). I think the implants last less long in the spring and longer in the winter, from my obs, probably because of fluctuations in the hen's own hormone levels.

Yes I thought that am still paying same for delvosterone injections at one vet and slightly more than before at another? Fir never is workingout apapproximatelysame cost wiwisps the implant and my girl is so much happens better than when implanted. It wasn't nice for her she was very flat sort of miserable till it was wearing off.

I watch for when they start crouching and then get them reimplanted immediately. They only got poorly with it the first time round. It works well but only for around a month at a time for one of mine so v. expensive.

Any news on Fhenton?

I thought I'd give an update, Fhenton is doing really well, the first 2 weeks are a bit worrying whilst the implant takes effect, we know have two girls with implants. They both seemed a bit mopey, they both went in to moult but after 1 - 1.5 weeks picked up. I noticed their combs have withered a bit and got paler, a sign that a hen is off lay. We did have to get Fhenton drained after week one as the Suprelorin speeds up the process before it begins to work. All my 7 chooks are happya nd enjoing the sunshine (touch wood!)

@Egghead68 i know this thread is VERY old thread. I just had my 2 year old ISA brown implanted 8 days ago.  She has no interest in her food. It's been a struggle to get her to eat ANYTHING on her own, including treats.  She's eaten some kale and watermelon today but still no interest in much else.  I've been syringe feeding her critical care  and kaytees hand feed mix 4-6 times a day and recently started force feeding her pellets and she is STILL losing weigh. She is just over 4 pounds today.  

Her mood has changed, seems lethargic and apathetic.  We have an appointment scheduled to put her to sleep next week (will be 2 weeks since the implant) but I'm praying she shows improvement before then.  Her poo has been watery for several months, despite several rounds of antibiotics. Since the implant, she has minimal poo and mostly urates. 

In your experience, should she be perking up by now? (8 days mark) I'm trying to hold onto hope because she is my favorite girl....

Thus sounds pretty normal for implant. How was she prior to it.. have you tried sweet corn.  Cucumber lettuce . Take her alone but near others to dig for worms. It's why many of us don't like the implants..try various things before bed with other other quietest hen. She won't want to compete  . Hopefully she will pick up soon.. have you tried the liquid poultry vitamins I forget the name . Someone will jump in.. also streroids might help perhaps your vet would put some our for you without a consult charge.  

You won't get much poo if she's barely eating . What was your reason for the implant?

On 5/6/2022 at 11:47 AM, sandyhas3chucks said:

Thus sounds pretty normal for implant. How was she prior to it.. have you tried sweet corn.  Cucumber lettuce . Take her alone but near others to dig for worms. It's why many of us don't like the implants..try various things before bed with other other quietest hen. She won't want to compete  . Hopefully she will pick up soon.. have you tried the liquid poultry vitamins I forget the name . Someone will jump in.. also streroids might help perhaps your vet would put some our for you without a consult charge.  

You won't get much poo if she's barely eating . What was your reason for the implant?

She had some swelling in her reproductive tract (not water belly) and it's pressing on her organs and air sacs. She was a heavy layer and laid almost every day for 2 years.  I only took her in because of chronic diarrhea and we found out about the swelling through an ultrasound. She would still eat special treats like scrambled eggs and mealworms back then. She had lost a little bit of weight because of that. The vet said it could be because she feels like she can't eat alot because of the pressure. 

We got the implant as a last resort, hoping it reduces the swelling in her repro tract... Oh, and 4 days before the implant she suffered a beak injury to boot!

I have given some poultry vitamins and have her separated from the flock. She sleeps with them at night but stays inside with me during the day. I'm currently syringe feeding her Critical care and mash. 

We have an appointment to PTS on Wednesday, but I'm praying she perks up.  She is one of my favorites. :( 

She might eat if you bring someone else in . Especially around ,,4 pm. When they start filling up for the night. Don't forget with no eggs to make she will eat less. But she obviously feels bad . I'd definitely get steroid injection boras she's not eating . But pills are tiiny. I've read a lot have to hand feed after implant ..

On 5/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, sandyhas3chucks said:

She might eat if you bring someone else in . Especially around ,,4 pm. When they start filling up for the night. Don't forget with no eggs to make she will eat less. But she obviously feels bad . I'd definitely get steroid injection boras she's not eating . But pills are tiiny. I've read a lot have to hand feed after implant ..

That’s a great idea, I’ll try that! Thank you. 
many idea how long the hand feeding lasts? It’s been almost two weeks now.

Sorry no ice only used it a few times , but I remember what others wrote. I'm trying  Galestop right now. Try a whole corn cob too. Also live mealworms. I have seen that they seem to get that they can forget to eat and  if you can get them to start eating they can be off...  Try googling it the implant you will find lots who have  used it on other forums on Facebook.  Good luck with her 

My 2.5 yo hen, I believe, had a bout of EYP in December 2021 and hasn't laid a normal egg since. She was treated with antibiotics in December. She began laying "lash eggs" in February about 1/mo, escalated in June to 2/mo then escalated again in September to a few a week, and larger. She wasn't eating chicken food but maintained her weight by eating other things. She recently had another round of antibiotics and lost a pound over about 10 days. In the last 3 days, she's actually become more active and just started eating chicken food again (first time since June) so I'm hoping she'll gain a little. She's also in moult, and still slow. I have been advised to try Suprelorin. I worry by all the comments that she will not eat. She's been so picky as it is, has lost weight, and I am unable to give her anything via syringe (she's uncooperative). I also worry about moulting as a side effect because she's already in a moult. Is this bad timing?