Mrs Bunn

new rabbit owner - can you help please ?

Hi there,

We have bought an Eglu for some new arrivals to our family - 2 dwarf lops are coming imminently. I chose it, thinking that having access to such a lovely large run each day would be great. However, I've now started to worry about various things associated with animal welfare and I'm hoping that others on this forum with some experience can help and share their wisdom. I've done a lot of research on the web , and as you'd expect have found conflicting answers !

Firstly, what do you have your Eglu sat on ? We'd originally anticipated grass, but are now thinking that problems with damp grass and not being able to move the Eglu around, so some of the grass will be pretty foul and difficult to keep clean ? We've been wondering about having half paving slabs and half grass (the area where we are siting the Eglu is currently soil, so we can 'floor' the run with whatever is most suitable.)

2. Is the Eglu really big enough for 2 rabbits ? I've been reading the RSPCA guidance on keeping rabbits and I'm not sure. Whilst the run is lovely and large, I now have concerns about the size of the Eglu itself.

3. How easy is it to catch your rabbit ? The run doesn't look hugely accessible if a rabbit doesn't want to be caught !

4. Is there anyone near to Witney in Oxfordshire who has an Eglu with rabbits in ? Would be great to come and have a look perhaps ??

5. What are the other pros and cons I haven't thought of ? Very, very close to selling the Eglu on, with great sadness, as I thinks it's a great bit of kit for chickens. I just can't bear the though of the rabbits not having enough space !

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

4. Has

Well, I guess that the fact that no one has been able to offer a positive answer tells all. These things don't appear to be suitable for rabbits. Eglu going back on ebay tomorrow and a larger home to be bought (we are converting a childrens playhouse).

Thanks

I have to say that these are unsuitable for rabbits.

The RWAF recommends a minimum hutch size of 6' x 2' x 2', which allows rabbits some room to move, stand on their hind legs and enough space for the food, toilet and sleeping areas to be kept apart. It is commonly accepted that a rabbit should have space for 3 hops, but it is commonly underestimated just how far 3 hops is - our tests show that 3 hops from an average sized rabbit covers 6-7 feet!

A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'

I have 2 house rabbits, they are litter trained and are free range whilst we are home. While we are out they have the run of the dining room, I would not have it any other way :)

You could convert you Eglu for hens now that you've got it :D