Peachy Pekins

Chicks & Ramps !!!

The only house I had to put my broody hen in has go its nest box up a ramp !!! She is in there quite happy with her four eggs but want to know from those who have been at this alot longer than me - do I put her in shut down from about 4 days before hatch with food, there is an area to walk about in, or do i keep her as she is with access to the ramp to lower level - just worried about chicks falling down ramp and getting lost etc.

put her on lock down from day 18 until the last chick is 24hours old. I put her on chick crumb then in the coop with water

as for the ramp it depends on the design but really the chicks should be at ground level for at least 2 weeks they can cope with about a 4inch step (my feeders and drinkers are on concrete blocks ) I find they start going up the ladder ramp on the one coop at about 3 weeks olds that one is made with 2 inch wide steps 2 inch apart the other 2 coops(their about 18inch off the ground) have concrete block steps and the chicks can get up those a bit earlier depending on how brave they are but I've moved a broody and chicks on to there at 3 weeks old and they've loved it jumping off the platform in front of the coop