penny70

Omlet netting and near fatality

Yes, my own fault for not thinking that this was a possibility, but I have now removed the omlet netting from my garden and put some trellis up instead for the chicken run...

Came in to the garden this lunchtime having left all the animals well and healthy.

Went to say hi to them all, to find the poor tortoise completely tangled in the netting. Round his legs and so tight around his neck that his head was swollen. Sure he's only alive as he's a tortoise and they can pretty much shut off all their systems to survive.

And yes, the netting was tight and secured along the bottom to prevent things like this happening.

Managed to untangle him with the aid of scissors and some careful untwisting and cutting. He went off and ate loads, and seems ok. Obviously I'll be keeping a close eye on him, and also am feeling terrible.

But I'll not be using the netting again.

Something for us all to be aware of...

The poor thing :( . I'm glad he's OK.

Something I did to stop chicken necks stretching through to reach my lawn :shameonu: , was attach some black plastic netting (the rigid type with fairly small holes) on their side, along the bottom section of the Omlet netting (I used those little green plastic covered wire ties). Your tortoise would probably be safe from tangling himself up then. It would be a shame to waste your netting as it's not cheap (but obviously your pet's life is worth more!).

Oh dear.. My Tortoise also does clever things like that, but they are tough.. Make sure he has a drink. They drink through their noses, so it looks like they are trying to drown themselves, for anything up to two minutes!!

I put mine in the washing up bowl, with about 2-3" water (tepid) He loves it!!

Re the netting. We have used the wood semi circular edge fencing stuff, dug into the ground a bit, it's about 18" high, I think. That stops him!