paulad Posted July 11, 2013 Share Posted July 11, 2013 Hi there Some of you may already know my story Bought 4 hens about 5 or 6 weeks ago - 3 were POLs and 1 was an older bird. Week 1 - one hen we think flew into the wall and broke her neck after a "fight" in the run Week 3 - older hen got poorly Week 4 - older hen nursed and got slightly better but then went down hill and we took her to vet to be put down - she had peritonitus. Now week 5 or maybe 6 i have lost track - another hen is poorly - sleeping all the time not eating etc etc We rang the place where we got them - they basically said take her to vet or wring her neck !! charming. Hubby told them he wanted them to look at her and see what was wrong - they have agreed (but i reckon they will just wring her neck) We are dropping her off on Friday night. The farm said they would give us 3 new hens and a couple extra as a "sorry" type thing My instinct is to ask for our money back and go somewhere else =(they came with a 6 month guarantee) Any advice ??? Also is one hen on there own fair or do we need to get her some company quickly ?? Not sure I can cope with any more stress or heartache though and dunno whether to give it all up. I know in my heart its not something we are doing wrong but Im doubting myself all the time. Its not the fun experience I thought it would be Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coco Posted July 11, 2013 Share Posted July 11, 2013 Sorry you have had a bad start to chicken keeping, sounds like you have just been very unlucky. Personally i would ask for my money back and go elsewhere. Your one hen really does need company, they are very sociable creatures, hens. Hopefully when you get some new girls you will be able to start enjoying your chickens. I had a bad run with my girls last year when I bought in some new hens that had respiratory problems. After a huge vets bill and the loss of 12 hens everyone is fine and healthy [touchwood]. i felt like giving up even though I have had hens for four years. Stick at it you will get there. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted July 11, 2013 Share Posted July 11, 2013 I very much echo what coco has said - replace your hens from elsewhere, even if the supplier is normally reputable he himself may have received an unhealthy batch of hens. Don't forget to quarantine your new hens in case of any problems with them. I've also been keeping hens for 4 years and my first year was plagued with problems from lice to feather pecking. Last year was also a nightmare with new hens coming in ill and old hens dying from a variety of things. But the inbetween times have been brilliant ! And I'm glad I persevered through all the problems and hopefully one day you will feel the same . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
paulad Posted July 11, 2013 Author Share Posted July 11, 2013 thank you both for your comments - I agree money back and a new supplier I have no idea how to introduce new hens though and we only have one coop - how many shud be get - you like to be back at 3 as I think 4 was probably too many for the run we have any help gladly received thank yuo Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...