Karen

Lone chicken

Hello,

I've been keeping chickens for many years now - was one of the very first Omlet customers. Two years ago I took in half a dozen ex battery hens, and the flock has gradually depleted. In the past few days I have lost two - I think to the heat, they were quite large hens and I think their hearts just gave out. So I now have only one very feisty hen left. I had intended to replenish the flock in September as i'm going to be away on and off over the summer and didn't want to ask a house-sitter to deal with a new lot of hens. But i'm now very concerned as I know that lone hens often don't fare very well - I just need a bit of advice and support please.

Many thanks,

Karen,

Stoke Newington,

London

Sorry to hear that :( . I think people have managed a lone hen for a short time, if circumstances have dictated, so I think she'd probably be fine till September as it's not too far away. It would certainly be easier for you to introduce new girls knowing you'll be around to keep an eye on things. You say she's feisty, so she'll more than likely manage on her own!