paulad

Losing fluffy feathers.

Hi there

My pol Blue haze is starting to lose feathers off her back - Im pretty sure there is no pecking going on (although I could be wrong) it seems like its just the fluffy downy feathers - any ideas ??

I have just 2 hens

Edited by Guest

Hmmm I personally would be suspicious of either a pecking problem or mites. I've had pecking issues for a while and you don't always 'see' the culprit at work! They can be sneaky :roll: This heat would also bring out mites which would cause a chicken to pull at her feathers.

My young chickens are starting to lose their fluffy feathers, but it's random and the feathers aren't all coming out from one area.

x

hi. mine have had the spot on so mites shouldn't be a problem and i cant see any bald area's....not sure what to do. thought it was the heat and a bit of a moult?

Have checked the girls and I can't see who is loosing the feathers but there seems quite a lot of fluffy small ones around. One of my girls if going into moult at the moments sonosnit possible it's her? I have seen the odd opportunistic peck but not anything to cause that much loss?

Hi there

Just checked our chuck with the loss of fluffy feathers - not sure if she has lost anymore or not - defo don't think we have a peeker in the run (only got 2 chucks) and checked for red mite and found nothing.

The feathers that are missing are on her back near her tail feathers - there are just fluffy feathers showing now and some of them look like they have broken off ??

ANy more ideas ??

Doesn't seem to bother her !

Hi again, I replied a while ago that I had the same, well i do have a little plucker, I have two hens that have been pecked, I took advice from my local poultry store and the guy told me....as long as there is no blood, spray with anti peck and dress with purple spray. I know who is doing it bit she doesn't do it all the time so am keeping a close eye on things. Defiantly not boredom! Maybe heat stress? Not sure but hope I don't have to reach for the bumps bits:(((

I can tell you that my three bantams all go through a stage of losing loads of feathers every summer. Their tail feathers, wing feathers, everything. They look awful. Then they grow back. I don't know why it happens, their first summer I was worried but now I've got used to it. The wild birds are happy, they collect all the feathers for their nests. This is the fourth year it's happened. I regularly use mite powder etc so I don't think it's that in my case.

I did wonder if it was due to the weather. Im not too worried as the chuck is fine and not bothered by it at all..

I will just keep an eye on it xx

Had much worse to deal with in my short chicken keeping career so this doesnt seem half as bad :P