Budgies

Vet in Norfolk?

Thanks for your help Egghead68, yes, sadly both Cambridge and Attleborough are a long way from me.

I've finally found someone nearer who has done Suprelorin implanting in chickens before and have an appointment on Monday. If they are good I'll recommend them on here.

I once had mine implanted by a vet who could not tell a hen from a cockerel
:lol: Oh dear!

Well, the receptionist, having established that my girl went in to lay but produced nothing then said "and is it a girl or a boy?" I waited for the penny to drop, but it never did, guess she was having a distracted day! :D

I'm really hoping the vet will have the knowledge to help me establish whether the chook IS laying internally which is my suspicion, but I'm not holding my breath! Thanks again for your assistance.

I've just been reading Practical Poultry magazine that I picked up doing my grocery shopping tonight and they have vets listed in Kings Lynn, Attleborough, and North Walsham. I guess it's a bit late for this time round, but are any of these close to you?

Thank you, mcfee2, that's very kind of you. None are as close as the place we went yesterday, and that was half an hour's drive. I'm up on the NW coast. I wouldn't mind so much but my wee girl doesn't travel well and once had to be admitted at death's door to a vet (and stay for 3 days) after a 20 minute journey as the stress had got to her so much.

The vet admitted she was no expert and basically it all ended up being down to me to make a decision, because she could neither confirm nor deny whether my chook was having yolks go into the abdomen. Having lost a chook before to egg peritonitis, I decided that the biggest probable downside of going ahead with the implant unless anything went wrong was that she would stop laying and we'd miss out on our eggs - that's four chickens and no layers now! However, if we didn't go ahead, possible egg peritonitis. :(

So we went ahead and she's been implanted. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for asking Egghead68. She's okay! She's laid 3 eggs since implanting (which I've had to throw away of course) but now seems to be stopping - her comb is certainly paler. We removed her stitch 10 days after she had the implant and that came out okay. I'm hoping that if she was in fact laying into the abdomen, we've caught it early enough. So hopefully a happy ending!