christyrose12 Posted August 6, 2013 Share Posted August 6, 2013 I think my ex batt has got egg peritonitis. Shes been abit off colour for a few days now with a mucky bum and her comb is flopping. I picked her up today and her abdomen is rock hard and hot. I rang the ex batt lady who told me what it was and that she'll ring the BHWT's vet in the morning. I feel so angry with myself that I didnt check her earlier . Just hope I havnt left it too late for her. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stacey30 Posted August 7, 2013 Share Posted August 7, 2013 Is she standing like a penguin too or almost straining? I had this last week with my ex batt. It's treatable if you get to the vets in time and she's strong enough to pull through. Best of luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
christyrose12 Posted August 8, 2013 Author Share Posted August 8, 2013 Unfortunately she didnt make it. They took some fluid from her abdomen which was yellow and full of puss so she was PTS Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
good_egg Posted August 8, 2013 Share Posted August 8, 2013 Sorry to hear this. Well done for getting her to the vet before it got too bad, I hate peritonitis!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gongladosh Posted August 9, 2013 Share Posted August 9, 2013 Having seen it first hand, you did the right thing by the poor girl. Unfortunately some hens are plain unlucky on the peritonitis front. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...