Seagazer

What to do?

Hello everyone, haven't been on the forum for a while, lots of non-chickeny things have been happening. :roll::wink:

But to get back to chickens, sadly I had to have Betty (my Bluebell) put to sleep on Tuesday as she had peritonitis. Apart from feeling really rotten that I didn't realise how ill she was, I am now left with one chicken. I know that I do not want any more chickens, I've loved having them for the last 5 odd years but my life is such now that its just not feasible to have any more (my two adult children have left home and we're away with the youngest at tournaments A LOT)!

My DD's friend's mum has a field with chickens in and said she would give Augustas a trial but if she gets bullied she'll have to come back. This lady apparently has Buffs which I know are huge. Augustas is quite a big girl and is really nosey and can be in your face but I'm not sure how she'll cope. I know she misses Betty, I keep letting her out and she goes bonkers every time you go near the back door. She is keeping close to me when I am out in the garden too. I don't know whether to try to keep her as a lone chicken (I don't want her to feel lonely though) or to find somewhere else for her. The vet said it would be better to rehome her and seemed to intimate that she knew places that took them. I didn't ask at the time as I was upset about Betty.

Oh what to do?? I should add that Augustas is 3 1/2 and still looks fit and healthy and is still laying, so I suppose she could go on for years. :D What should I do? I'm really in a quandry. :think:

I'd try with your friends flock - I dont know if you mean buff Orpingtons but if so they are big but very docile

If at all feasible it would be good if you could borrow a hen from the flock, introduce the two at home then send them to the flock as a pair, it would make things easier though isnt essential

If your lone hen is a hybrid I would imagine it will be her that causes ripples

If no blood is drawn I wouldnt intervene, large flocks of pure breed chickens are not usually problematic for a lone hen but you do have to be a little bit brave to let things sort themselves out!