Millie-Annie

More introduction advice for my new girls

Right, so I have Ivy and Mary, my ex-batts in the big run and in the little run I have Meva and Issey and Octavia. They are all 13 weeks old but the small run is nowhere near big enough for Octavia Orpington. I really should have thought this through :roll::roll: I can't swap them because the small run doesn't have access to the free range area which Ivy and Mary have every day

I know the little ones need growers pellets, which they have in their hopper, but provided I leave growers pellets out, could I try and introduce at least Octavia Orpington to the ex-batts?

I would have a hopper of layers pellets (although only Ivy lays) a hopper of growers pellets and a hopper of chick crumb and corn.

I suppose my question is, how can I be sure Octavia is eating the right stuff and she isn't eating layers pellets and the other girls eating growers?

I really hate seeing her in that small run though, it is like the old fashioned zoo cages

I would be cautious about introducing one 13 week old to the ex batts - she would probably have a tough time on her own with them. It might be better for her to be in the small run until she is older, or all 3 can be introduced together.

Would it be possible to put them in the bigger run for a couple of hours in the day while the ex batts are out free ranging? It would give them a bit more space for a while.

I do that every evening when I get home from work. Ivy and Mary have the run of the garden as a treat. I wouldn't leave her, I would only let her out with them when I am watching them. They met her tonight unintentionally as I happened to forget to shut one door as I opened another. The ex-batts ran away, she absolutely dwarfs them in size. I certainly wouldn't leave the little ones with them, but honest she is hooooge

This is them all together last week when we brought them home, so they are all 12 weeks old

P7260003_zps34c05f5f.jpg

She has stopped bullying the little ones now, and they are braver around her. I have been putting lettuce in those wire holders for them, and to start with she wouldn't let them near but I noticed yesterday they take no notice of her now and carry on eating instead of running so she leaves them alone.

I have filled all the hoppers with growers or chick crumb, so there are three hoppers dotted about. I have put lettuce in both holders and strung a broccoli head up. While we are out there cleaning out this afternoon I am going to give it a go.

UPDATE. She attacked my ex-batts. She flew at them with her feet out, weeks flapping, neck feathers up. They weren't going to take that so fought back. Luckily I had my water spray handy. Poor little Meva and Issey were terrified though and hid in the their nest box.