Princess Leia

What to do?

Having had Scramble PTS on Wednesday, Poppy is now looking lonely (I know that's just our interpretation/assumption) and has been temporarily re-named Hen Solo by OH.

So, should I get more to keep her company (thinking possibly two as we just have an Eglu Go)?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to getting POL's at this time of year?

What issues are there likely to be introducing new girls (we wouldn't have anywhere to segregate them if problems occurred)? Scramble and Poppy were were our original two from Omlet, so we've never had to make introductions before.

Do single hens cope on their own?

Am I just being irrational...?

Hi I went through exactly the same earlier this year. I don't think Phoebe was that unhappy on her own but just didn't seem right for her to be alone. So taking advice from here I got two PoLs - Sandy and Storm. I did think perhaps introductions (and the difficulties) were exageratted. But no! Plan A (having only an Eglu classic and the run so was hoping Phoebe could FR whilst the two new girls got used to the run just didn't go well, there was no way to separate them at all and keep them safe. Plus Phoebe is a big girl and likes to roost in the nest box so I couldn't lift the other two over her at bedtime. The suggestion being that once drowsy put them all in together.) So Plan B - hastily get everything out of the shed and the two new girls set up camp there, very gradual introductions and well supervised for 3 weeks. Phoebe was determined to be top chook as her original companion was well and truly the boss and was quite aggressive during this period. But now ... bliss. They all get on so well, Phoebe is in her 'golden years' and is almost motherly towards Sandy and Storm. I honestly didn't think they would ever get on. So my advice is to get two, take it slow, and all will be well. Good luck. PS sorry for your loss.

yup as above - take it slow !

We just introduced 3 exbats to our 2 POLs that we got in June - we kept them seperate but in the same WIR for a week and a half - we slowly introduced them while free ranging for the odd 30 mins or so every day - then decided to just go for it...Can be distressing and i know some on here have had a much worse time with intros.

I wud definately say u need different accom even for just a few weeks.

good luck - keep us posted xx