LittleOwl

Ducklings arriving unexpectedly today! Any advice?

Well, I have two ducklings turning up in half an hour! To cut a long story short, a friend of my niece got 2 from a farm for her kids, kept them in the house, and now at two weeks old they have changed their mind. Goodness knows where they would end up so I have been asked if I would take them. Not ideal but there you go. All I know is one is a male "standard" duck. the other a female with a pompom type head. My partner has picked them up and bought some duckling crumbs and is on his way here. The girls at his work washed them and supervised them in the sink. One of them has a little sore on her neck and wing, and I am not sure what that is till I look at it. We have talked about having ducks this year so we have gone with it.

We have chickens already and have had for a few years, and a few acres, and are happy to buy whatever we need for them, though we will muddle through today and tonight. I have a new paint tray here if they are small enough for that and a hutch or plastic guinea pig house. I have been reading through here as best I can, but any tips for a total newbie would be most appreciated. What do I look out for, what are do's and don'ts? How warm do they need to be overnight for example? Am I right to not put food and water out for them overnight? Any other things to be aware of? Sorry it's a bit of a random question! Thanks in advance!

Hi first off depends if they have been kept under heat mine are off heat and outside by 2-3 weeks in this weather a hutch full of straw will be fine no I wouldn't give them food and water over night as it will attract rats and they make such a mess mine have crumb for about 3 weeks then move onto growers leanne :)