Brianbj

Waste eggs

What is it with my four rirs I open them up at 6.30 to 7 in the mornings to find 2-3 smashed eggs in the waste trays.Their just not using the nesting compartment.I have tried putting a dummy egg in their but no good ,any suggestions besides giving up keeping poultry.

Sounds like they are being disturbed in the night Brianbj. Could there be a fox or other predator trying to get in the coop? Have you got red mite in there? They won't drop eggs onto the floor for no good reason as their instinct is to make a secure nest to hatch a brood. You are getting them up early enough certainly.

Thanks for your comments super chicken I am sure there's no predators about and they have been treated for red mite although they were clear .I have changed the hay in their nesting compartment today for shredded paper as that's the only thing that I think they may not like See how that goes.

They could be laying soft eggs which are finally expelled and end up in the poo trays overnight, are the shells actually smashed, ie are they hard shells or soft and squidgy? This is what sometimes happens with my girls if they've been trying to lay a soft egg during the daytime.